I found this ingredient online and I put it into my recipe database:

College Inn Beef Broth - Fat Free & Low Sodium - Beef Broth, 0.25 Cup
Bertolli - Balsamic Vinegar, 1.33 tbsp
Molasses - Blackstrap, 0.67 tbsp
Spices - Ginger, ground, 0.25 tsp
Spices - Pepper, black, 1 dash
Spices - Garlic powder, 0.25 tsp
Water - Tap, 1.5 cup

Mix all together in sauce pan and heat to a gentle boil - boil for 15 minutes until reduced to about 1 cup. The entire cup only has 59 calories and 127mg sodium! For those who don't know.... a cup of reduced sodium soy sauce you would buy at the store has 160 calories and a whopping 9200mg sodium!!! and you don't even wanna know what regular soy sauce in the store has.... but I'll tell you for kicks lol. It has: same calories but has 18,560!!!!!! OMG! I'm really excited about this, as I am going to be making a low calorie low fat general tsos grilled chicken and rice meal! SO AWESOME!!! :D

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    sounds intriguing.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    I'm eager to try it! I love soy sauce but gave it up because of the sodium. Thanks!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    WOW!! thanks for sharing, I'm going to have to try this out!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    tag:smile:
  • Huh sounds good
  • rwilkins
    rwilkins Posts: 8
    I like to use Braggs Amino Acids. It is healthy for you and taste just like soy sauce..
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    mmmm.. I would love to find a healthier substitute for soy sauce... has anyone tried this recipe yet?
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Bump
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I haven't personally tried it, but I have heard of it before, and heard nothing but positive feedback.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Gonna hafta try this. I love stir fry but the sodium is way to high in my recipe. This will be perfect!
  • Mmmm,, sounds good; will have to try. Thanx :bigsmile:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    BUMP< thanks!
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Wish I'd seen this earlier tonight as I splurged and made a homemade stirfry with just 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce.... I will try it next time!

BTW, just to correct you, I don't know what lower sodium soy sauce you are using, but I have Kikkoman's and it is 575mg of sodium and 10 calories per tbsp serving. I only happen to know that because I was just using it tonight!

Thanks for the substitute, though. :)
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Sounds interesting - might try if I can find he molasses!
  • Wish I'd seen this earlier tonight as I splurged and made a homemade stirfry with just 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce.... I will try it next time!

BTW, just to correct you, I don't know what lower sodium soy sauce you are using, but I have Kikkoman's and it is 575mg of sodium and 10 calories per tbsp serving. I only happen to know that because I was just using it tonight!

Thanks for the substitute, though. :)

Exactly - 575mg times 16 Tablespoons in a cup is 9200mg sodium in a cup. lol. You misread what I wrote: I was saying how much sodium is in the entire cup compared to others. So just 1 Tablespoon of the substitute recipe I listed will have just slightly less than 8mg :)
  • callie365
    Bump
  • mary1970
    mary1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I don't eat red meat do you think I can use chicken broth instead of the beef broth?
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,246 Member
    I like to use Braggs Amino Acids. It is healthy for you and taste just like soy sauce..

I also use this. I can't tell the difference and neither can my family. You can find it in the health food section at the supermarket.
  • callie365
    mary1970 I dont know, I haven't made this recipe but you could give it a try? If you do let us know how it turns out.
  • callie365

I also use this. I can't tell the difference and neither can my family. You can find it in the health food section at the supermarket.

I saw that posted earlier, I'll have to look for it. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.