I need recipes that are soy-free for vegan and vegetarian

Options
zaraizzy
zaraizzy Posts: 36 Member
I eat about three times a week vegetarian or vegan most of vegan and vegetarian recipes include soy I cannot have soy because of health reasons so if you have any recipes besides stir fry I'd appreciate it! Don't get me wrong I love stir fry but would like to mix up my meals have a variety Thank you ahead of time

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Just substitute some other legume, non-soy meat substitute, eggs, and/or cheese for any soy beans or soy product in any vegetarian or vegan recipe.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Mejadra gets its protein from lentils and eventually a dollop of yoghurt. I don't bother to deep fry the onion. I pan fry half the amount to mix into the mejadra. For the topping I buy ready made deep fried onions or shallots, the kind they use for thanksgiving bean casserole.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/09/mejadra-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi

Sesame noodles gets protein from sesame paste and peanut butter. I like to add extra crunchy veg such as bean sprout and grated carrot as well as the julienned cucumber called for in the recipe.
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9558-takeout-style-sesame-noodles

Other vegan protein sources that are less well known in the US are quorn and seitan. Seitan are the buddhist tinned mock meats you find in Asian supermarkets based on gluten. Quorn is a processed mold product.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I find that soy is pretty easy to substitute (I've cooked for some soy-free people). Just skip the soy sauce and replace the tofu/tempeh with another protein (assuming it isn't using tofu as a binder).

You can have chili, Indian curries, any kind of seitan or jackfruit dish, noodle bowls, vegetable soups (carrot, tomato, potato), bean soups, pizza, etc.
  • zaraizzy
    zaraizzy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I'll look into what you both have suggested!!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Just about vegetarian Indian dish would fit the bill.
  • DJHara
    DJHara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is an indian dish you can try
    Very high on protein

https://keviniscooking.com/chicken-chickpea-masala/
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love a simple Mexican rice bowl, but also pho, broccoli slaw, roasted veggies with quinoa, and pretty much any veg Indian curry using paneer. Fav dish is Brie, a fig/red pepper jam, roasted garlic on a little bread with a small salad on the side. Eggplant parmasean if you are feeling Italian. Butternut squash soup or ravioli. Ok I have some options:).
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Veganomicon is a cookbook that we use a lot. I'm an omnivore, but mostly a plant-based one, and I love it. There's a great vegan pot pie in Veganomicon that uses seitan and tastes a lot like my mom's chicken-based pot pie. The recipes are very comfort-foody.

https://www.mississippivegan.com is another fine cookbook.

(The link above ^^^ also leads to a blog with lots of great recipes.)

You know a lot of recipes are easy to make vegetarian. A vegetable plate like you might get at a Southern-style cafeteria usually is soaked in pork fat, and for people who like that kind of thing that's great. But it's very easy to make collards with a little toasted sesame oil, sea salt (if you are soy sensitive) and apple cider vinegar and get a very similar experience. Serve those collards with the skillet cornbread from Veganomicon, some lima beans or crowder peas, and some rice... mmmmm-mmmmmmmmm.

***This should go without saying but not all the recipes at the link I posted are "low-calorie"... I do not eat low-calorie food, personally. I try to eat food I love but not too much of it.

• flourchild225
    flourchild225 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use coconut aminos in for soy sauce. Make a good stir fry with it. It’s so yummy - add sesame oil, honey, lime, red chili flakes, etc.

Black bean and sweet potato chili - sooo good. Add cheese or leave it out.

Many Indian dishes. You can often substitute any meat for cauliflower and/or chickpeas and use the sauce recipe. Also find a good recipe for dhal. Really good.

Roasted veggies and feta and basil is one of my favorite go tos.

Stuffed sweet potatoes! Make a Mexican filling with quinoa, black beans, tomoatoes, corn, spices etc. top with guacamole, etc.

You can also do a yummy Greek chickpea and tomato filling in a sweet potato too.