Using up blue cheese?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
We opened up the package of a rather large piece of blue cheese to make blue cheese sauce to go on a batch of frozen homemade potato gnocchi. The leftovers will now have to be used up pretty quickly as it doesn't keep long once opened. My usual repertoire is

-blue cheese blitzed with low fat yoghurt for dipping veggie sticks or baked chicken wings
-green salad with blue cheese and fruit such as apple or pear and eventually candied nuts

Any other ideas?

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Blue-cheese stuffed dates, add an almond if feeling fancy. Best quick appetizer ever.

Crumbled over soup, with pumpkin seeds and shredded kale.

Warm steak salad, with blue cheese, cucumber, sundries tomatoes, balsamic.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Blue cheese dressing.
    1/3 cup mayo
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    3 oz blue cheese

It's fabulous.

You can also freeze the blue cheese. We routinely by a big block and then freeze it in portions to make blue cheese dressing, or use for other recipes.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Use in polenta and top with beef stew
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Make canned salmon blue cheese burger patties (mash salmon and bluecheese)
    OR
    Make buffalo blue cheese beef / chicken / turkey burgers. (franks red hot buffalo + blue cheese).

Do you dredge in flour and/or egg before pan frying?

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Try a dollop in the cheese mix when you make homemade mac and cheese. When you're feeling the need to be indulgent, that is, LOL! (Doesn't need a lot, adds a subtext to the flavor).
  • tikiman3576
    tikiman3576 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tomato and avocado salad with lime or honey vinaigrette. Blue cheese and avocado provides richness for all the acid, slight sweetness from tomato and honey.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I made an "orzotto" the other day - a risotto style dish made with orzo in other words.
    Blue cheese (I used Stilton) , pine nuts, tenderstem broccoli, rocket etc...
    Very simple to cook (more like assemble!).

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/orzotto-tenderstem-cooking-instructions-a8764111.html

It was good but personally for my taste buds I would increase the Stilton, cook the broccoli separately as it was a bit too chewy, reduce or eliminate the lemon juice and zest (or save for a G&T...) as that was a bit too lemony. I also wouldn't add salt as the cheese is salty enough and doesn't need more.

Baked mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese are delicious too.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Leftover blue cheese? That's nonsense!

I love it on steak sandwiches or burgers with deeply caramelized onions. Or on ham sandwiches with sweet/hot pickles and hot peppers. It goes so well with slightly sweeter flavor profiles.