How to get over my stagnation?

Options
I have been working out since summer 2017 and I lost about 30 lbs in 3 month. I would like to lose another 10-15 lbs ideally but the reality is that I stopped losing weight! I usually work out 6 days out of a week with a lot of cardio. I have only two out of seven days for weight training. I gain muscle in a very slow pace, but I am planning to add more strength training. My diet is very healthy at about 1500 kcal per day but I have one or two cheat days every now and then in a week. I was wondering whether my stagnation for losing weight is because I gained some muscle? My body actually looks a little bit leaner. Should I change my workout routine to more weight training?

Also, I am very new to this community. I would love to have more friends! Feel free to add me ;)

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Diet is responsible for weight loss, not so much exercise. Weigh your food and follow the .5-1 lb weight loss calorie count mfp gives you.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sedentary because I work at a desk in a library, so my maintenance is going to be around 1600. If I ate 1500 (including eating back exercise calories) and had two cheat days a week, I would probably end up staying the same weight. Just a thought. Are you netting 1500 after you eat back exercise calories? Or are is 1500 before you exercise?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Also, I've seen a lot of people on here eat at maintenance but focus heavily on weight training, and while the number on the scale stays about the same, their bodies change dramatically!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale for all solids?

how much over do you go on "cheat days" and how often are they?

how long have you been eating this way and not loosing? are you not loosing at ALL or are you losing slowly? what is the trend?
  • qismees
    qismees Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Diet is responsible for weight loss, not so much exercise. Weigh your food and follow the .5-1 lb weight loss calorie count mfp gives you.

The suggestion from MFP is about 1400 kcal. My active exercise is around 700 kcal daily on average. so it gives me 600 kcal difference if I eat 1500 kcal per day. But it seems not quite effective...
  • qismees
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    Also, I've seen a lot of people on here eat at maintenance but focus heavily on weight training, and while the number on the scale stays about the same, their bodies change dramatically!

Yes my body changed a little bit leaner, but I would like to have less fat especially on my belly lol.
  • qismees
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    I am pretty sedentary because I work at a desk in a library, so my maintenance is going to be around 1600. If I ate 1500 (including eating back exercise calories) and had two cheat days a week, I would probably end up staying the same weight. Just a thought. Are you netting 1500 after you eat back exercise calories? Or are is 1500 before you exercise?

1500 kcal is before my exercise. I do 700 kcal exercise daily, so it would end up with a good amount of 'in - out' difference.
  • qismees
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

how long have you been eating this way and not loosing? are you not loosing at ALL or are you losing slowly? what is the trend?

1. Yes, I use food scale to weigh all my food.
    2. cheat days could be pretty bad. I would have half jar of the ice cream or just go to the restaurant for a big meal. My cheat days often happen on the weekends so I notice that my weight decreases maybe 0.6 lb during the weekdays but after the weekend, I will gain those pounds back... :/
    3. it has been at least one year since I stopped. There was one month I actually gained 5 lbs because of tremendous snacks. Then I stopped and for half of the year I think I am eating healthy and controlled with lots of exercise, but my weight basically stays like the same.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    1- you can't spot reduce. unfortunately genetics dictates where we lose and for some the stomach will be last. you can work on toning and strenghtening the muscles underneath (it won't remove the fat but might make things look better?)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

2 - those sound like a lot of very bad cheat days. i'd rain those in. dont' eat ALL THE THINGS on that one day, every week. you can eat maintenance that one day, but it sounds like you are eating back all the deficit you worked on that week.
    qismees wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »

1. Yes, I use food scale to weigh all my food.
    2. cheat days could be pretty bad. I would have half jar of the ice cream or just go to the restaurant for a big meal. My cheat days often happen on the weekends so I notice that my weight decreases maybe 0.6 lb during the weekdays but after the weekend, I will gain those pounds back... :/
    3. it has been at least one year since I stopped. There was one month I actually gained 5 lbs because of tremendous snacks. Then I stopped and for half of the year I think I am eating healthy and controlled with lots of exercise, but my weight basically stays like the same.