Weight loss and eczema?

So I have recently been diagnosed with eczema. It isn't severe or anything just bad enough to make me want to scratch my skin off. The itchiness showed up about the same time i started to exercise and loose weight after being sedentary for quite some time. Just wanted to know if anyone else had developed eczema after weight loss or if you have eczema how are you dealing with it. I'm new to this whole thing.

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    I had eczema throughout my childhood...bad. I had it on the inside of my elbows & knees, on my hands and the back of my neck (which caused hairloss). It made for a very difficult childhood. Once I made it to the right doctor, it never healed because of the creams I had, but it did make my situation better. It wasn't until one day that it all just started fading away. There was no lifestyle or a difference in what I ate. I think I just grew out of it.

The medication that was prescribed to me was Lidex. I also used Eucerin for my everyday moisturizer. I never let my skin get dry...always kept it moisturized. Like I said, this was over 20 years ago so there might be better products now, though my sister still has eczema pretty bad and she's still on the same medication (Lidex), and has been going on 40 years. Stay far away from lotions with heavy perfumes, like the stuff you get at Bath & Body Works, or Victoria's Secret. That stuff will do nothing but damage your already sensitive skin.

I do remember soothing my skin with an oatmeal solution. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was just oatmeal and warmish water (not hot...you don't want to cook it). Once mixed, I think I just used a towel and sloshed the oatmeal water on my itchy area. When I would apply my Lidex, I'd mix it with a bit of Eucerin, as that made it stay on my skin and stay moisturized longer. Try not to wash your hands more than needed, as it will dry them out (if it's on your hands that is). Where ever the rash is, try to let it have easy access to the open air as much as possible. Loose fitting clothes work the best for less rubbing and irritation.

I doubt that your issue will be as bad as mine, as I was a kid and didn't always take care of my situation as I should (controlling the scratching, applying my medication, moisturizing my skin....etc). If you follow your doctor's advice and use whatever medication you're given, it should be a lot better than what I went through.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again. Good luck!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    My husband had/has it. For him it gets better when he doesn't eat gluten and worse when he does. I'm not sure if it's the wheat or gluten itself but even he will admit it's better when he's gluten free (which of course means wheat free). Me and the kids are all gluten free because we can't tolerate it and I've long suspected he needs to be as well but he's slow to come around.

Anyway, you might want to pay attention to food triggers because a change in diet might be the issue. You can develop an allergy at any time so it wouldn't hurt to keep that in mind.