What are your love/hate exercises?

Options
Phirrgus
Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
Mine:

Weighted lunges
Sissy squats - these are brutal for me.
Box jumps

They all give great returns, love that, but they leave my busted up feet wanting to just quit.

What are yours?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks - we do so. many. jumping jacks at class and they help with cardio but boy sometimes do I just want to not do them.
    Burpees - Nobody "likes" a burpee but I understand the importance of them
    "Fortifying" exercises - getting punched/kicked etch in the stomach/ribs for minutes at a time is not fun, but it does strengthen both the core and defense mechanisms.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees. So good for me but suck while I'm doing them.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Lunges for sure are my least favorite, I feel like my balance is off and have fallen on my knee many times. They say though, your least favorite is probably the one you need the most, but whatever, I still hate them!

I love exercises that use TRX, but not ones where your feet go in the straps I feel ridiculous doing those!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    There are times on a really long bicycle ride, when I'm climbing yet another hill, and the weather has turned bad, and darkness is falling that I wonder why on earth I'm putting myself through that.

But I do love long distance cycling :)
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian split squats and anything targeting the core, but you feel so good afterward.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts. Love. <3

I hate lunges, especially BFR lunges.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Don't know how I could forget burpees and split squats lol.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PT has me doing Sumo Squats as part of my warmup. God I hate those.

He also has me pushing a sled around. It's hard but I love it for some dumb reason. Push it twice a week. Pull it once a week and not so fond of that

I've seen burpees, yeah not trying those :)
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Love love love PIlates- do them every day
    Hate running
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Weighted walking lunges. HATE.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill. I dread every step, but it makes my road runs sooooooo much easier!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lunges...fortunately I can't do them anymore, so I don't have to worry about it.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bulgarian split squats. And one leg Romanian deadlifts. Hate doing them, love the results. OHP & I have a difficult relationship —actually like doing them, just hate it seems to take forever to see progress in adding weight.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees, rower, lunges, pull ups, x-trainer and versa.
    Pullups are my necessary evil - they're improving my upper body strength and posture, but I hate them.

I love, love, love kick-boxing, deadlifts, weighted sumo squats, lat pull down, bench press and tricep stuff. Also enjoying running.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I love:

Deadlifts - I used to loathe them, now I get so excited on deadlift day. I used to prefer squats, now it's the other way around.

I hate:

Lunges. All kinds.

I used to hate Single Leg RDLs, but I'm kind of used to them now.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Dumbbell walking lunges (entire length of gym...& back; it's like walking through hell but strangely feels very rewarding). One of the few exercises I can only muster doing 2 sets of maximum per workout because of how brutal/taxing/stamina draining these can be. Quads, hamstrings, glutes are all on fire for a day or two after these (really need to go back to these)

Stiff Legged Deadlifts - targets some very niche areas of the body. ROM going a few inches too low can result in a very sharp sensation in the hamstrings (needs lots of attention to form & delicate movement). I often opt for Good Mornings over SLDLs because of the fine line with ROM of SLDLs (issue is not load related either, any weight with excess ROM/depth can be troublesome). Very rewarding in bringing out details to the hips/hamstring tie-in (currently in limbo possibly going back to single leg SLDLs or flat out RDLs after trying cable SLDL variation)

Yeah Sissy squats, no problem, Glute Ham Raise/Nordic/Russian curl, no problem, piece of cake vs. lunges & SLDLs, lol
    Surprised no one has voted for Hack squats (I have no hate for excessive knee bending exercises)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    I thought people would call me crazy for hating lunges when I posted the thread. Glad to see I have lots of company :D I wouldn't trade them though. Like Keto_Vampire said, they're strangely rewarding.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Split squats for sure.
    Renegade rows, I don't look forward to, but nothing beats split squats.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bulgarian split squats. And one leg Romanian deadlifts. Hate doing them, love the results. OHP & I have a difficult relationship —actually like doing them, just hate it seems to take forever to see progress in adding weight.

Those have made me so much more comfortable on my skis, especially in tough situations. I was already pretty comfortable on them, but the single leg Romanian DLs have taken that to the next level. I can't even hate doing them.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Anything involving wobbling around on a Swiss ball and feeling like a total numpty.