5days 3lbs Down on alternate day diet!!! Anyone else?

Options
I stumbled upon this diet due to my binge about a week ago. I binged on Friday and freaked out about it all night. I woke up weighed myself and i had actually lost 1/2 lb! It seemed like the binge boosted my metabolism! i researched through Google searching "is binging on a diet good" things like that and this "alternate day diet" aka JUUD diet and i read up on it, while the binge did trick my metabolism triggering the "skinny gene" it is not good to binge (3000+ calories) all of the time.

This diet however does use the same method in a Way. as your body is introduced to your diet when you start it, the body starts to get rid of those first couple of lbs (water weight) quickly because it went from over eating to being restricted but as you keep that restriction of lets say 1000 calories and everyday you do 1000 calories and some exercise your body gets use to 1000 calories and eventually uses those calories to maintain because that's what its use to getting for the past couple of months. But when you go up and down with the calories every other day your metabolism is getting tricked..in a good way! This diet allows you to have 300-500 calories one day which is your fast/"down day" (also helping cleanse the body) the next day you can eat all you want! Fueling and nourishing your body also helping the metabolism store your food as energy instead of fat! "Starvation mode" when the body has been fed under 1200 calories occurs once it has been fed under 1200 calories past 48 hrs. On the alternate day diet you only have a restriction for 24hrs the next day you eat as much as you want (without internationally over eating) so your body never enters "starvation mode" !

And your metabolism doesn't hit a plateu(which I've hit many times) but on this diet i have already lost 3 lbs and its only been 1 week! And that's with very little exercise! I can only imagine the next couple of weeks! I have more energy im in better spirits and im satisfied instead of depressed and deprived. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS DIET TO ALL OF MY FELLOW DIETERS OUT THERE!! And questions Id be happy to answer as i have been studying hard along with test driving the diet myself with great success I will keep you all updated! (=

Replies

• batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    try this long term and i'm curious to see what happens in 3 or 6 months!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I did JUDDD for around 6 months and lost around 45lbs :smile: Been in maintenance since March. Loved doing JUDDD for weight loss. I'd recommend checking out the JUDDD group here on mfp for more info, otherwise you can pm me and I'll give you some more info. Alternate day IF is just a stricter version of the 5:2 plan :)
  • dnkibble
    dnkibble Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulations!!!!!! (= that's huge encouragement for me and a huge accomplishment for you! Amazing, yes can we please communicate further? I have a couple of questions myself (: so far so good i love it! I can actually probably do this for the rest of my life!
  • dnkibble
    Options
    Im actually considering it for a life style change, its that great. Most people have great success with this diet and lose more weight in 4 months than they had in one yr! So yea im curious to see the next six months will bring too! Even tho i only have about 10 lbs to go maybe 15 the next 4 months will just be maintaining
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 pounds with JUDDD. It's a great tool, though I don't recommend eating whatever and however much you want on up days. I, for one, obviously didn't have a "normal" grasp on portions and calories before I started JUDDD, or I wouldn't have gotten to nearly 300 pounds. I stuck to the calorie allotments given by the calculator on Dr. Johnson's website and did wonderfully. I'm maintaining now, and not fasting, but that's only because of some personal health issues. I would totally go back to alternate day fasting if my weight starts to creep up.
  • mommac777
    Options
    Where do you go to find this web site to figure the calories you should eat. I had a health scare and need to loose close to 100 lbs. I joined my fitness and set my calories at 1520 and most days don't eat that many. My daughter says I'm putting my body in starvation mode..Help
  • MsDkis1
    MsDkis1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and I am anxious to see whats to happen over the course of 6 months.

The website I found it on is
    http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

If you scroll all the way down it will have spots for you to enter your info and then it will calculate it for you.
  • dnkibble
    Options
    MsD! (= Can you hit reply to the response above yours and send that link to her? And i am excited for us too (: ill do a little documentary and a slide of pictures asap!
  • dnkibble
    Options
    Hi!! CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS TOO!! Big accomplishment! I only have about 10 more lbs to get off, you said you don't recommend going crazy on food on up days but what if you're fasting on down days? I only have about 300 cals on down days and mostly liquids. The websites calculator says i should have 348 on down days and 1688 on up days but sometimes i want 2000 cals do you think if i continue with 2000-2500 it will effect my loss?
  • dnkibble
    Options

I did JUDDD for around 6 months and lost around 45lbs :smile: Been in maintenance since March. Loved doing JUDDD for weight loss. I'd recommend checking out the JUDDD group here on mfp for more info, otherwise you can pm me and I'll give you some more info. Alternate day IF is just a stricter version of the 5:2 plan :)
  • dnkibble
    Options
    Congratulations!! On your loss , I mailed you for some info, you seem to have Had more xperience and success with the diet! Id love your insight!
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Aren't you starving on your down days though? There are days when I exercise and eat 1700 calories and am still SO hungry by the end of the day! Is this diet really realistic and maintainable?!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Hi!! CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS TOO!! Big accomplishment! I only have about 10 more lbs to get off, you said you don't recommend going crazy on food on up days but what if you're fasting on down days? I only have about 300 cals on down days and mostly liquids. The websites calculator says i should have 348 on down days and 1688 on up days but sometimes i want 2000 cals do you think if i continue with 2000-2500 it will effect my loss?

It may work fine for you having higher UDs, but it didn't work for me. My DDs were usually between 250-350 calories and my UDs around 1750 toward the end (based on my current weight and age). If you're losing fine doing the higher numbers, there's no reason to change them.

In maintenance, a lot of people choose to keep their DDs pretty low and add more calories to their UDs with good results. I know of one woman on another forum (www.lowcarbfriends.com, then search JUDDD), who has been maintaining for quite some time with 600 calorie or less DDs and as much as 3000 calorie UDs.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Aren't you starving on your down days though? There are days when I exercise and eat 1700 calories and am still SO hungry by the end of the day! Is this diet really realistic and maintainable?!

The human body is an amazing thing. It adapts quite well to the down days. I rarely had hunger on down days after the first week or two. As for being realistic and maintainable, I did it for over a year and a half. Proof enough for me. Plus, since you can have treats and eat very well on your up days, there's not the same sense of deprivation you get with a lower calorie "every day" diet. Believe me, I've tried them all, and this is the only one I could stick with for more than 3 months at a time!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Is this maintainable with a very active lifestyle? IE: heavy lifting, marathon training? Curious! Thank you.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Yes, there's a lot of good information if you google exercising in a fasted state. The JUDDD calculator also gives calories based on activity level, though if you're not very active or only exercise moderately, I recommend using the "little to no exercise" option. If you're very active, or training for a marathon, by all means, use the higher calculation.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I swear, I'm not paid to endorse this WOE. :blushing: I just feel passionately that people need to find what works for them, what's sustainable, and for me, it was JUDDD. I spent a decade being obese and trying everything I could to get the weight off. This is the only thing that worked for me long-term. And maintenance is built right in.

As an aside, I have Primary Raynaud's disease and am hypothyroid. Both cause me to be cold, sometimes uncomfortably so. Fasting can also decrease one's body temperature. I have been having some issues with my PR, and that's the only reason I'm not fasting at the moment. When/if I get that under control, I'll go back to it. It really is that easy and enjoyable, that I'd love to return to the WOE, even though I'm in maintenance.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

The human body is an amazing thing. It adapts quite well to the down days. I rarely had hunger on down days after the first week or two. As for being realistic and maintainable, I did it for over a year and a half. Proof enough for me. Plus, since you can have treats and eat very well on your up days, there's not the same sense of deprivation you get with a lower calorie "every day" diet. Believe me, I've tried them all, and this is the only one I could stick with for more than 3 months at a time!

What she said :happy:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just checked out his website, plunked in my numbers and it said I should eat 399 calories on my down days.

No way that's going to happen. I eat over 400 calories of very healthy food just for breakfast.....I'd be passing out by day's end if I only ate 400 or 500 calories in any given day.
  • Heather29angel
    Heather29angel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is the name of the website so I can figure out my DD calories? No matter what it says I will a still probably eat 500 lol and thanks! :smile: