Help! How do I achieve maintenance?

Options
Hi .....I am very close to my goal weight and now I am panicking. I don’t know how many calories a day will sustain my weight loss long term. I am also obsessing over the numbers and now find it hard to go out to dinner without fearing the scale the next day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Multiple people's ideas and approaches discussed in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I feared maintenance as well. Here's a thread I started that you might look through. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707239/how-do-you-conquer-the-fear-of-gaining/p1
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    What I would do, OP, because I am a nerd, is calculate calories in for the last 8 weeks, and weight lost over that same time. I'd multiply pounds lost by 3500, add that to the 8 weeks' calories-in total and divide that by 8 to get a rough estimate of current TDEE over a week's time - then divide that by 7 to get rough daily TDEE estimate.

@Maxxitt
    Thank you! I did your calculation & it helped me realize what I should do after I lose the last couple of pounds!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The idea of switching to maintenance stresses me out because I’ve never done it successfully longterm. I keep losing and gaining the same 10-15 pounds over and over. My problem is that I eventually stop logging and let the weight creep up for too long before I do something about it!

If we can learn to lose weight successfully, we can learn to maintain. It isn’t that much different!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    @rosiorama that is exactly what I do. I really want long term success this time. Plus I already bought my dress for my daughters wedding in October so I can not gain this weight back!

That sounds like a great reason to figure out this maintenance thing. Then, after October, you need to find a new reason the make it stick!

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’m currently transitioning back towards maintenance and I relate to the anxiety around this. I maintained successfully for 3yr before gaining half back so I don’t really trust myself even though I know why I gained it back and have made sustainable lifestyle changes to prevent it from happening again. I’m still nervous.

I just got over an illness where I dropped weight fast so I’m eating at what I think maintenance is now to try it out while I build my strength back up. It’s a few weeks ahead of my planned schedule but given the weight lost while sick it feels like the things to do.

You can feel free to add me if you want a buddy to transition to maintenance together with.