help to sum it all up

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,665 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... @nooshi713 brings up a good point...

What are you trying to achieve by managing your weight given that your current BMI is in the mid 19 level?

If you're trying to become more defined/athletic, restricting your calories and creating a deficit is probably NOT the best way to achieve great results.

Have you looked into recomposition?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    angermouse wrote: »

im 5'5'' 53kg.

You don't need to lose weight as you are already tiny. Weight gain and lifting weights would be better.

PAV8888 wrote: »
    hmmm.... @nooshi713 brings up a good point...

What are you trying to achieve by managing your weight given that your current BMI is in the mid 19 level?

If you're trying to become more defined/athletic, restricting your calories and creating a deficit is probably NOT the best way to achieve great results.

Have you looked into recomposition?

Considering that OP said 5 days ago s/he no longer wants to lose weight but wants to "tone" and reduce BF%, and said even earlier than that that at one point s/he reached a weight only 3 kg lighter than current weight and realized s/he didn't want to be that skinny, I don't understand why people keep asking questions about weight-loss goals.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Because we are still waiting for her to STATE her goals, as well as her current calories in and current calories out according to her Fitbit?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Because we are still waiting for her to STATE her goals, as well as her current calories in and current calories out according to her Fitbit?

Sigh. Between MFP not showing every single post in both the phone and web version and the information coming out over several posts I guess I suffered a reading comprehension fail.

The data we have at this point, as far as I can tell, is 5ft 5" 116.84lbs (165cm 53kg) BMI 19.5 eating about 1530 with her Fitbit saying that @angermouse is spending "more than 1800 but this is because I am trying".

However, another data point is that @angermouse has been steadily losing weight at an intake of 1530 and most people have a hard time telling that they're losing weight if they're only losing at 250 Cal a day... which makes *ME* suspect that the 1800 of her Fitbit may be a low as opposed to high estimate given the way she logs and the way her body behaves (it happens).

In any case, to my mind 1800 and consistently losing, plus a bit of an uptick to intensity coming up by being better fueled instead of in a deficit and, in the realm of horseshoes and hand grenades, and with the caveat that long term the weight trend still has to be watched, and keeping in mind her current sub 20 bmi which provides a great up-tick buffer, and assuming the goal is muscle building which requires energy... I would suggest sticking MFP to ACTIVE and "maintain" which will give @angermouse a goal of about 1900 Cal a day.

This would be good for her ASSUMING she also starts herself on a structured strength training program at the same time. If not willing to do so, then i would say go for 1800 a day for now and probably find yourself at maintenance around there.

Is this helpful at all? No clue 'cause not sure still what exactly @angermouse wants to do or is looking for!

The figures say she is normal weight on the lean side. Extra improvements will not necessarily come primarily from eating goals.
  • angermouse
    angermouse Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Considering that OP said 5 days ago s/he no longer wants to lose weight but wants to "tone" and reduce BF%, and said even earlier than that that at one point s/he reached a weight only 3 kg lighter than current weight and realized s/he didn't want to be that skinny, I don't understand why people keep asking questions about weight-loss goals.

thanks @lynn_glenmont I gave up because I felt like Im going in circles. the opening post says I joined to talk about learning to bulk and tone. also to make sure I was getting my tdee and cals out right. I mentioned somewhere I will be looking to recomp when I understand im getting it right, I have stated what I burn and eat how many times? my fit bit says 1530 cal in and 1800+ out. but never mind I will come back another time maybe in the maintenance thread when I know what im doing. thanks all for your advice and guidance. this is a good site.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2019
    Options
    the opening post says I joined to talk about learning to bulk and tone. also to make sure I was getting my tdee and cals out right. I mentioned somewhere I will be looking to recomp when I understand im getting it right, I have stated what I burn and eat how many times? my fit bit says 1530 cal in and 1800+ out.

So you want to bulk and tone instead of losing weight.

Your Fitbit says you're eating in a deficit, and you said you have been losing weight.

So start by eating all the calories your Fitbit tells you to.

Then evaluate your weight trend via trendweight.com and push your calories up further.

Also go to the bodybuilding section and look up in the stickies @psuLemon 's post about structured strength training programs.

Pick and implement one!!

Expect some water retention due to the new exercise (if your muscles are hurting you're retaining extra water)

Expect a one time uptick due to increased calories and volume of food in transit.

Adjust calories, if needed, based on trends over time, not one time upticks.

My personal confusion stems from my belief that you stated that you were losing weight while eating at what your device tells you is a deficit. Which is obviously something one can't continue doing if their goal is to maintain and/or bulk.