MFP app not giving back step calories

Options
I’m using MFP on an iPhone X and have linked MFP to the Health app (all categories).

On the MFP home page I can see the number of steps today but the Exercise calories remain 0.

Is it supposed to give back some calories for exercise? Or have I set up something incorrectly?

I’m attaching a screen shot.
0u26swcp2wre.png

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Lowest level, Sedentary.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I’ll just say it doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to.

I switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch. Both devices give me similar TDEE estimates and based on my data Fitbit was close to my actual TDEE. Apple Watch gives me little to no adjustment regardless of activity level setting.

Examples:

Jan 24
    Apple Watch Active Calories 956 with a Total calorie burn of 2536.

MFP claims iOS says I burned 1933 for the day based on burning 133 calories as of 7:25 pm.
    MFP Activity level was set to Lightly Active with an estimated calorie burn of 1800 before exercise.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit stopped syncing with MFP yesterday. I keep getting a message “failed to sync” on the MFP side. It happens occasionally and I would expect MFP will fix the issue within the next 24-48 hours. Until then I am just mentally keeping track of what exercise calorie adjustments to expect and using hunger as my guide on food choices. FWIW I also am on the iOS version of the app.
  • echmain3
    Options
    Yeah, something's not right with MFP's servers. I switched to the web site and I can't even add food calories (its primary purpose!). When I click on the "Add Food to Diary" button, nothing happens. No response. I also deleted and reinstalled the app, and now it can't connect. Wow. Not a good time to join.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    They've been having some food syncing issues. It's very frustrating. This is the link they gave me regarding updates on the food logging issue:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2969527-food-meal-sync-down

What you're describing sounds a little different, but it may be part of the same issue.
  • oneillm45
    oneillm45 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually have to sync my Garmin Connect app with my watch before MFP takes in the step count.
  • echmain3
    Options
    Whatever the problem was seems to be fixed. Both app and web site seem to be working now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I’ll just say it doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to.

I switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch. Both devices give me similar TDEE estimates and based on my data Fitbit was close to my actual TDEE. Apple Watch gives me little to no adjustment regardless of activity level setting.

Examples:

Jan 24
    Apple Watch Active Calories 956 with a Total calorie burn of 2536.

MFP claims iOS says I burned 1933 for the day based on burning 133 calories as of 7:25 pm.
    MFP Activity level was set to Lightly Active with an estimated calorie burn of 1800 before exercise.

Apple doesn't send the required info.

MFP was so thrilled they finally said they'd do the work to integrate, MFP likely didn't require them to correct it when finished with all the screaming MFP users.

Since Apple sends wrong data - MFP math is totally hosed up and figures are useless.

Must use the Pacer app to sync with Apple health account, and then that with MFP.
    Not directly between Apple and MFP.

Known issue.

The more active you are, or the more your workouts - the worse the effect.

OP, you are observing the issue too.