Buddhist here...

Options
Looking for anyone of any faith (or no faith) for science based, fact driven tips on weight loss.

My favorite- seeing how very little our metabolisms vary! Wow, was that a reality check! And also, how little exercise plays a role on weight loss compared to diet, carbs aren't the enemy, and starvation mode is a myth- it still shocks me I believed that for 90% of my life.

Side note about how Buddhism has played a role in my weight loss goals- how to be mindful and intentional about my choices. And how meditation can really reduce the emotional eating component. Just a fun fact.

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'fortune child' from a Nichiren Buddhist family. When practicing (which I haven't for a year or so) I find chanting helps me form strong determinations, respect my life, make the right choices and helps life run more smoothly. When not practicing I can get bogged down with self doubt and destructive tendencies. All very relevant for losing weight and reaching your health potential. I should really start chanting and studying again as it would really help with this process for me! It's funny how resistant I can be to things that I know will work. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm of a whole different faith (Christian) and going through the same learning process. It's a really refreshing experience to see people of so many different ways of life and / or Faith's in one place getting a good handle on how the human body works regarding weight and issues that impact it.

For me, it's pretty much all CI>CO. Being able to just keep it simple is priceless :)
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, I go to Overeaters Annonymous and the program says you need a Higher Power and God is written throughout all their books. Were you born a Budhist or became one later? Is there an easy beginner book on how and why to become a budhist? I am in need of something but do not know what.

Have a look through this site and see if it interests you

https://www.sgi.org

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi, I go to Overeaters Annonymous and the program says you need a Higher Power and God is written throughout all their books. Were you born a Budhist or became one later? Is there an easy beginner book on how and why to become a budhist? I am in need of something but do not know what.

Not the OP, and I wouldn't call myself Buddhist, but it is something I've explored. There are different tracts of Buddhism and it isn't necessary to become a Buddhist to learn from the teachings and practices. There are many books I've found to be helpful. If you are wanting to learn the basics of the types of Buddhism, there is a Buddhism for Dummies book (I found it rather dry). If you are wanting something that is more about the practices, "A Path with Heart" is one of the first books I really felt connected with. Ajahn Brahm has several books, and a lot of YouTube videos. Jon Kabat Zin's "Wherever You Go, There You Are" is full of shorter stories and is uplifting. A friend recommended "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist" but I haven't read that one yet. Pema Chodron and Thubten Chodron both have some great YouTube videos as well. In my opinion, finding a local monastery is probably one of the best ways to learn (they usually offer dharma talks and/or meditation classes).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Faith doesn't play a real role in my life other than as part of my family traditions and social identity. I rarely think about it, but I don't really have any religious beliefs or any interest in pursuing any, although I did dabble in my teens.

For most of my life, it's been facts (or what I perceived as facts) and personal experience rather than faith. My approach to weight loss is that if it makes it harder, it's not worth it. I like feeling good and I dislike feeling bad, so if I can reach a compromise where I get the results with the least degree of feeling bad, that's my Goldilocks zone. Anything else is not "habitable" enough to be sustained even if it's more optimal in theory.

Before I settled for CICO, I did believe some interesting bits about metabolism, crash diets, meal replacement shakes...etc, but didn't feel trying them was worth the effort because of how I am (as I mentioned above). This is why it took me so long to consider losing weight because I thought it would mean lots of deprivation and discomfort. When I finally decided to do it, I fell into the CICO theory because that's what I learned at school and what sounded the easiest. I thought, wrongly, that my more comfortable choice was worse than going for a meal replacement shake or a crash diet template.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Not the OP, and I wouldn't call myself Buddhist, but it is something I've explored. There are different tracts of Buddhism and it isn't necessary to become a Buddhist to learn from the teachings and practices. There are many books I've found to be helpful. If you are wanting to learn the basics of the types of Buddhism, there is a Buddhism for Dummies book (I found it rather dry). If you are wanting something that is more about the practices, "A Path with Heart" is one of the first books I really felt connected with. Ajahn Brahm has several books, and a lot of YouTube videos. Jon Kabat Zin's "Wherever You Go, There You Are" is full of shorter stories and is uplifting. A friend recommended "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist" but I haven't read that one yet. Pema Chodron and Thubten Chodron both have some great YouTube videos as well. In my opinion, finding a local monastery is probably one of the best ways to learn (they usually offer dharma talks and/or meditation classes).

My mom is also an explorer of Buddhism and I am familiar with most of these titles and authors through her. I will add Thich Nhat Hanh.

@150poundsofme I second the recommendation to find some live classes in your community. My former Unitarian minister was also a Buddhist and offered a 10 week or so "Intro to Buddhism" series followed by meditation classes.

I found practicing non-attachment very useful back when I was active in online dating :lol:
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'm of a whole different faith (Christian) and going through the same learning process. It's a really refreshing experience to see people of so many different ways of life and / or Faith's in one place getting a good handle on how the human body works regarding weight and issues that impact it.

For me, it's pretty much all CI>CO. Being able to just keep it simple is priceless :)

Only if you're trying to gain weight. For weight loss, the formula is CI<CO. Calories In need to be less than Calories Out.

I understand that was likely a typo on your part, but didn't want any confusion. :)

I, too, love that regardless of everyone's ethnicity or spiritual background and beliefs, our physical bodies all work pretty much the same way universally.

Doh! Thanks, didn't even see what I did lol :)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who gave me suggestions about the specific books, videos and classes. I appreciate you all!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    There are so many great responses here, I pretty much second the other recommendations.

To answer a previous posters question, I was raised Christian, but have been Buddhist pretty much as early as I can remember. I just didn't know it had a name until I was about 8 or 9 or so.

The book Siddhartha was incredibly impactful to me, in the way I see and feel about the world and everything in it.

As for AA and their step program, perhaps they see most (if not all) people there experiencing addiction feel a sense of loneliness, emptiness, and general lack of direction... so they are filling that void so to speak. What I love about Buddhism is that it empowers me to choose how I experience the world, and realize we are all connected by the same material that makes up the universe. It is truly aligned with Quantum Physics. I feel completely free and present, which highly influences everything else in my life, especially diet.

ETA- Just answering the posters above, not trying to curb anyones personal beliefs or non-beliefs :)
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    I'm a 'fortune child' from a Nichiren Buddhist family. When practicing (which I haven't for a year or so) I find chanting helps me form strong determinations, respect my life, make the right choices and helps life run more smoothly. When not practicing I can get bogged down with self doubt and destructive tendencies. All very relevant for losing weight and reaching your health potential. I should really start chanting and studying again as it would really help with this process for me! It's funny how resistant I can be to things that I know will work. Thanks for the reminder.

That makes me so happy. I love that visual of your mother!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Looking for anyone of any faith (or no faith) for science based, fact driven tips on weight loss."
    I'd recommend the site Examine.com - it doesn't have an axe to grind or push an agenda beyond using science.
    This is a good roundup of current myths doing the rounds on social media (including MyFitnessPal. :) )
    https://examine.com/nutrition/awful-nutrition-myths/

"Side note about how Buddhism has played a role in my weight loss goals- how to be mindful and intentional about my choices. And how meditation can really reduce the emotional eating component. Just a fun fact."
    I have no faith and found that helpful in accepting personal responsibility for losing my excess weight.
    Just a fun fact - my wife of 36 years is a committed and active Christian including being a Church Warden for many years. Shared values but not shared beliefs.

• Ddsb11
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Looking for anyone of any faith (or no faith) for science based, fact driven tips on weight loss."
    I'd recommend the site Examine.com - it doesn't have an axe to grind or push an agenda beyond using science.
    This is a good roundup of current myths doing the rounds on social media (including MyFitnessPal. :) )
    https://examine.com/nutrition/awful-nutrition-myths/

"Side note about how Buddhism has played a role in my weight loss goals- how to be mindful and intentional about my choices. And how meditation can really reduce the emotional eating component. Just a fun fact."
    I have no faith and found that helpful in accepting personal responsibility for losing my excess weight.
    Just a fun fact - my wife of 36 years is a committed and active Christian including being a Church Warden for many years. Shared values but not shared beliefs.

Ha! Those nutrition myths seem so bad now, but honestly, it wasn't that long ago I was afraid to eat after 7, not eat breakfast, and many other myths listed in the link. Yikes. In fact, it wasn't that long ago I was given side eye from people here on mfp for fasting... which was and still is something I practice in Buddhism. But the backlash was real. Now that intermittent fasting is common it's a non-issue for the most part.

I have a lot of respect for relationships that can look beyond religion and find common ground in ones values instead. I have always looked as Buddhism as a philosophy instead of a religion, because anyone can learn mindfulness no matter their pov on god. Definitely a great tool when developing discipline or improving positive habits.