mashed potato substitution

Options
my wife once made it with cauliflower and parm. cheese any recipes peeps

Replies

• wic1
    wic1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it is awesome! Takes 2 times to get used to it but better than I thought it would be.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    Heard of it....never tried it. May just have to...
  • 88starz
    88starz Posts: 7
    Options
    steamed cauliflower - mash it up while it's hot with half and half and Velveeta cheese. yum!!! my sister hates cauliflower and loved it!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    YUMMM! I'll try it! My motto: Try anything once, twice if I like it! : )
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you would cover your "healthy" mashed potatoes (cauliflower) with heavily processed cheese...kind of defeats the purpose. How about some fresh herbs & garlic instead. i've seen folks use cauliflower as a substitute for rice as well.

Here's a good one without all the added fat...
    http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-mashed-cauliflower-instead-of-mashed-potatoes-208857
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That sounds really yummy, I may have to try it.
  • turboandrea
    turboandrea Posts: 108
    Options
    Agreed on the cheese part. It defeats the purpose if you add too much unhealthy cheese with it. ;) I love this substitution and that's coming from a Midwestern girl raised on meat and potatoes.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to have cauli with my chilli than rice ,also I much prefer a veg mash ,turnip ,carrots ,cauli,broccoli,sweet potatoe,well any veggies really .
  • cameron_en
    cameron_en Posts: 54
    Options
    One cup of cooked Japanese/Korean style rice. It tastes much nicer than boiled rice and goes with pretty much anything once you acquire a taste for it. It's also quite similar to mashed potato in terms of calories, but you won't need to add butter or milk to enjoy it~

My cooking style is quite Asian though so I guess it won't suit everybody.
  • brooooke
    brooooke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mash up fingerling potatoes with some salt and just a tablespoon of skim milk. It is still potatoes, and it comes out a little purple but I think it is not too bad calorie wise when you leave out the butter and whole milk.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I dice equal parts potato, rutabaga, and parsnips. Boil 'em with a few cloves of garlic. Drain and mash together, add a touch of chicken stock and just a little butter, and black pepper. Delicious!