IBS :(

Options
Unfortunately I believe my stomach issues are related to IBS! I have not been formerly diagnosed, but I want to try a FODMAP diet before I seek a doctor.

The thing I am struggling with is not eating dairy or gluten for the 4-6 week period. I feel there is so much dairy in things that I’m not even aware of. Any advice for someone trying dairy/gluten free? I’m so overwhelmed.

Replies

• tenaciousmeg
    tenaciousmeg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been following the FODMAP diet for almost a year, and it's made a huge difference in my IBS symptoms. A complete game changer. My best advice is just to dive right in. There's several FODMAP Facebook groups that are super helpful, and I would invest in the Monash app - pricey for an app, but totally worth it when searching for safe foods and safe serving sizes. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My mom has diagnosed IBS and finds white bread useful in managing it, so I'm not sure you are on the right track with eliminating gluten to manage IBS. While celiac disease can cause IBS like symptoms, it is different from IBS. "Tests for celiac disease are most reliable when they’re performed while gluten is still in the diet."

You may not need to need to eliminate low fat dairy for IBS unless you are lactose intolerant, which again you can be tested for.

That said, I wouldn't find it difficult to avoid dairy. I mostly cook from scratch so it is very obvious whether or not something includes dairy.

You could stick to cuisines that naturally do not have a lot of dairy, like Thai.

None of the recipes I use in Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine Lemon Grass Cookbook contain dairy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Mom happened to call while I was writing the above and recommends this site: https://www.helpforibs.com

She takes their acacia powder and finds it helpful to manage IBS.

Her IBS (and others) is worse during times of stress, so do work to reduce that.
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I did FODMAP, I got a book called Healthy Gut, Flat Stomach (maybe your library has it), which laid out a diet plan for elimination and reintroduction. I followed it when I did it, and found it useful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would try one at a time, not both together personally.

The mire you can cook from scratch the easier it is, I found anyway.