Emotionally eating

Options
So I’ve started to notice a pattern.
Every time me and my hubby have a huge argument I stay up and eat everything in sight healthy and unhealthy.
When I’m doing a sleep shift at work (support work) I emotionally eat (very stressful at the moment).
I do this atleast once a week and I’m now sick of it!!! This coming week I’m gonna start leaving myself notes everywhere in my house to stop and think before I eat. At work I need to eat more during the shift so I’m less likely to snack.
Is anyone else an emotional eater and how do or did you overcome it

Replies

• journeytofit112
    journeytofit112 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am. I'm still trying to find way to overcome it
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's definitely an issue for me.
  • JaiRocket
    JaiRocket Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional binge eater. Something that I have found useful is literally saying, "I don't emotional eat" out loud when I'm about to. Hearing it helps me. I also keep a water bottle next to me at all times. It gives me something to reach for when stressed (which is often). Add me if you want another support person. Hang in there.
  • Michaelpapadopoulos
    Options
    I also recently noticed emotional eating. When I'm stressed I turn to eating. Psychologists say it's a kind of reward because we cant get reward otherwise.
    In any case science says its a matter of self-respect and valuing ourselves who we are, than anything else. (except when we are very low on calories, so our bodies ring the bell)
    No diet, no "medicine", no superfood or secret from the amazon tribes can replace our own will.

Lets work on our minds as well.
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    JaiRocket wrote: »
    I'm an emotional binge eater. Something that I have found useful is literally saying, "I don't emotional eat" out loud when I'm about to. Hearing it helps me. I also keep a water bottle next to me at all times. It gives me something to reach for when stressed (which is often). Add me if you want another support person. Hang in there.

Thank you so much
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Try to find an activity that will help you de-stress that isn't food. It makes it easier than trying to force yourself not to eat. Instead you reach for the healthier activity instead. I do best when I enjoy it but is also productive, like writing or playing with my pet.
  • optfitness
    optfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. I am a stress eater Thankfully I have learned to not buy any junk food, that's the only way.
  • goo927
    goo927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try an make sure I don’t have bad tempting items around Incase I get the itch to eat. I try and figure what in my head I’m trying to deal with or ignore when the feelings arise! Good luck- we got this
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ok so I’m at work on a sleep shift and tonight I’ve had my dinner and instead of binge eating which is the habit I’m in when I’m on a sleep instead I’ve had a light hot chocolate, a protein cake bar and two small cut up apple pieces warmed up with abit of Golders syrup. This is huge for me!!! I just kept saying to myself that I’m better then this and food doesn’t control me! I feel satisfied and great and I’m still under my daily calories today 😁 I know this is just today but already I feel abit more in control