Tips for keeping swimming interesting and Entertaining

Options
2»

Replies

• jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't contribute much here but I swim about 3x/week typically shooting for 3-3.5k yards. I do lots if sets. So today I did 300 warm up, 200 drill, 100 Fast, 50 easy, 1x500 fast, 50 easy, 6x200 medium (30 sec rest between each 200, 100 easy, 3x100 IM, 100 easy, 2x100 fast, 200 cool down. But there are lots if sets you can do. Pyramids (4x25, 3x50, 2x100, 1x200, 2x100, 3x50, 4x25 for example.). Right now I'm seimming on my own but I. The oast have swumnwith a partner or group. Hope that's helpful.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas already - another game I have played is word games. Eg all the flowers i can think of starting with letter a on frst lap, letter b on second etc - or think of something beautiful (amethyst, baby, coastline) if you are feeling meditative.

Or why not just swim for 30 minutes? If you dont do the up down slog but instead do sprinting - you’ll get a good workbout. Think HIIT and breaks where you ate gasping for breath rather than constant up and diown

Scuse typos - it is not letting me edit today)
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Always have a workout. Split it 50/50 between drills to make you a better swimmer and intervals/speed stuff. It keeps it interesting an you are less likely to hurt yourself.
    Do not simply fight the water for thirty minutes, and repeat. That is the recipe for shoulder and back injuries!
    Look at finis or goswim.tv for workouts
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Try to think of it as meditation.
    It does wonders for me, particularly when I have these month long trips to China.
    Great for stress reduction.
    If I got bored swimming I would not be able to do the distances that I have done.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I mentioned in another post that swimming is good exercise but not great for weight loss. Try adding different strokes or like some people suggested, aquasize instead of swimming and get a waterproof MP3 player.

Note: Apple iPods do not come waterproofed and once they are waterproofed (third party) the warranty is void. There are other options out there that are just as good an less expensive.

As far as "keeping it entertaining", try swimming naked :p . That ought to make it entertaining!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I mentioned in another post that swimming is good exercise but not great for weight loss.

Huh??!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I mentioned in another post that swimming is good exercise but not great for weight loss. Try adding different strokes or like some people suggested, aquasize instead of swimming and get a waterproof MP3 player.

Note: Apple iPods do not come waterproofed and once they are waterproofed (third party) the warranty is void. There are other options out there that are just as good an less expensive.

It is very good for weight loss. It burns more calories than running AND works all of the major muscle groups while giving cardiovascular benefits.

Yes, we all know weight loss begins and ends in the kitchen, but a good calorie burning exercise can help the food management part better.

Also, if you buy a waterproof Ipod from a reputable company like Audioflood, the Apple warranty is void but reputable 3rd party companies have their own warranties which can be even better than Apple's.
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

It is very good for weight loss. It burns more calories than running AND works all of the major muscle groups while giving cardiovascular benefits.

Yes, we all know weight loss begins and ends in the kitchen, but a good calorie burning exercise can help the food management part better.

Also, if you buy a waterproof Ipod from a reputable company like Audioflood, the Apple warranty is void but reputable 3rd party companies have their own warranties which can be even better than Apple's.
    I mentioned in another post that swimming is good exercise but not great for weight loss.

Huh??!

I know, its bonkers isnt it? I didnt listen lol, I know swimming is amazing for weight loss. Not sure why he/she is saying this. He said it on another post relating to something else! I lost 3 stone swimming 10 years ago xx