Ravenous

Options
HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
I typically eat 1800 cal per day. I am 5’”6 129 lbs. I work out a lot (typically burn 1000-1500 cals per workout day. Last week I was asked to sub teach several spin classes. It was tough. Of course I kept up with my personal workouts despite the additional sub classes. I just wanted it to be over. I was soooooo exhausted and so hungry by the time the week was over. I ate well to replenish the caloric deficit. I took Saturday and Sunday off with the exception of a long walk and yoga and I had a massage today. The thing is I am still unbelievably hungry. Is the after effects of over doing it?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When you say that you're eating 1800 calories, does that include exercise calories? If you're eating 1800 and burning 1000--assuming your food calories and exercise calories are all accurate--then you've only given your body 800 calories that day. And if that's the case, no wonder you're hungry.
  • HilTri
    Options
    I have upped the calories this weekend. I have never felt like this before and I don’t like the feeling or always thinking about what to eat next.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Ravenous = you need more food. Eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", 135, age 63, I lose weight at my 1850 net calorie goal. Are you losing, gaining, maintaining?

1800 seems really low for someone super active, your size, age, even if net. I admit I'm a good li'l ol' calorie burner . . . but still.
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thank you. I am maintaining.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    What % of your exercise calories do you eat back?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I find I am extra ravenous near my period. Could be a combination? (I can’t quite tell if you’re female)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    Thank you. I am maintaining.

I was maintaining on 1900 cals... Turns out by slowly increasing my calories I am also maintaining on 2100 cals. And I'm not constantly hungry.
  • HilTri
    Options
    I know thi may not be the best method but I generally use exercise calories to absorb whatever discrepancies there were in my logging. I don’t get a cycle anymore woohoo so it isn’t that. I will continue to increase my calories by a couple hundred.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I know thi may not be the best method but I generally use exercise calories to absorb whatever discrepancies there were in my logging. I don’t get a cycle anymore woohoo so it isn’t that. I will continue to increase my calories by a couple hundred.

I'm confused. Do I understand correctly that you burn 1000-1500 cals per workout day, don't eat those back, and are wondering why you are ravenous?

Why not tighten up your logging and eat those calories back, as this is how MFP is designed to be used?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That's a downfall of a same everyday eating allowance when your exercise routine is very varied.
    If those unusually high days are rare you could simply eat a bit more that particular day, make your calorie counting work for you and not against you.

Really worth experimenting with increasing your calories so see if you can maintain on a higher allowance than you are currently. Feeling ravenous has a good chance of resulting in suppressed NEAT and poorer exercise performance (lower burns).

Think how long it would take to add any significant weight even if that increase turns out to be a surplus.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

It would be a lot safer to just get a food scale and weigh your food, which will reduce errors in logging dramatically. You probably don't have 1000 calories worth of errors in your logging on a regular basis unless you have a lot of estimates that are *way* off, plus your body is responding in a way that indicates undereating. Burning 1000 calories that you don't eat back is potentially unsafe. You're going to pass out eventually from lack of food. Feeling ravenous is a warning sign.

Additionally, I hope that when you say you don't get a cycle, there's a clear medical reason for that, like medication or menopause. If there's no apparent reason, that's another reason to be concerned that you may be eating too little.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How often do you workout? Since you say "on workout days" I'm assuming it's not a daily thing - if that's only once or twice a week, then it may be less of a big deal, if that's 5 days a week, it's definitely a problem.

A couple hundred calories to allow for errors is one thing, but at your height and size, 1800 might be about right for maintenance with light activity - not for someone who's burning 1000+ calories in regular workouts.

Since you say you're maintaining, I'm going to hazard a guess that either a) your actual burn is FAR less than you say, or b) your tracking is WAY off - or you don't track much/consistently/accurately. Or both.

As for the extra workouts - yes, eat that back. Cardio tends to hit me (in the hunger department) 24-48 hours after, so generally the next day I'll be extra hungry. Since I know this, I just adjust when I eat the calories back to when I know I'll be hungry. Overall, though, still eating them back (if you're fairly certain on the burn amount anyways, otherwise a lot of people will only eat back half).