Keto

Hi there, I have done keto here and there but trying to get on the track now. I was told with counting carbs you need to find the net carbs which is what i thought you need to count. so i have a good fat bar which is 13 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber so that would only be 4 net carbs. but when i input that into the tracker which is set for 15 grams of carbs per day it doesnt take into account the net carbs. what am i doing wrong?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    MFP carbs are not net carbs. If you track non US/Canadian entries they are already net carbs, so it would be wrong to deduct fiber from them.

What I did when doing keto was track fiber and do the math in my head. I aimed for 60 g carbs (and 25 g fiber) and just made sure my net carbs were under 35 g.

If you want to aim for 15 g net carbs, don't worry about the red, just deduct the fiber and see where you are (IMO fiber is healthy so it's good to see total fiber, and having to check carbs and fiber also probably helps you make sure you are using accurate entries). You can note in the comments total net carbs if that makes you feel better.

13-8 is 5 g net carbs.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    That would actually be 5 net carbs. 13-8 = 5. MFP doesn't do net carbs. If you are concerned about it, put your food in, then look at nutrition. You can mentally subtract the fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs. Keto is under 20 carbs a day. Good luck!