sodium.......

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
How strict are you with your sodium goals? I only recently started tracking them because I was appauled at how much I was consuming. I have been really trying to keep it at goal. Yesterday I did it, but today I am a bit over. What are your feelings about sodium? That *kitten* is in everything! :(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Being Asian (and no high blood pressure/hypertension issues)......................it don't matter. I'm always over. Soy sauce and fish sauce are my friends.
    Sodium doesn't really matter, unless one lives and dies by scale weight since sodium can cause water retention. But if one is drinking enough water and balancing it with potassium.................................don't fear the sodium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 6000mg/day, but I'm not that strict about it. If I only make it to 2500 I don't beat myself up about it or anything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Health Canada recommends limiting your dietary intake to 1,500mg daily (I think the US FDA suggest a maximum of 2,500)

Personally I don't worry about it too much with the exercise I do, were I more sedentary I'd probably pay closer attention.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Being Asian (and no high blood pressure/hypertension issues)......................it don't matter. I'm always over. Soy sauce and fish sauce are my friends.
    Sodium doesn't really matter, unless one lives and dies by scale weight since sodium can cause water retention. But if one is drinking enough water and balancing it with potassium.................................don't fear the sodium.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Marry me?? :flowerforyou:
  • sizzle74
    Options
    I guess I am a scale watcher. I also feel like if I try to cut it down my belly may stay flatter lol. Stupid muffin. (it's gotta be the sodium right? haha)
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 2500mg per day...doctors orders...anytime I work the grill, I'm always over. I don't sweat it too much since my BP is good and I have been drinking pleny of water and exercising...I still keep an eye on it though.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I will be honest, I get more concerned with people that desperately try to omit salt completely and end up under their MINIMUM daily recommended amount.

Many people are not aware just how dangerous too little sodium can be.
  • kelvincornish1
    Options
    To be honest I pay little attention to my sodium intake but it always seems to be lower than the recommended amount.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You need to ensure you get your required amount of sodium. Other than that, salt away. The upper bound isn't anything to worry about.
  • iTrainHARD
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes- please listen to this.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! This has been enlightening and made me feel better!

xo
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are more and more studies coming out saying that people are now not getting enough sodium and being too restrictive...particularly if people exercise and sweat a lot. Being hypertensive, I used to watch mine pretty closely, to no avail...it didn't make one ioda of difference in my blood pressure...more and more studies are showing the same. Rather than strictly limiting my sodium intake, I try to make sure I get tons of potassium to maintin a good ratio...I personally think most issues people have are due to not having enough potassium in their diets along with excess sodium and their PH gets all wonky.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had to start taking blood pressure meds about a month ago and am trying to keep my sodium around 1200-1500 mg a day. But like I mentioned I have hypertension stage 1.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I had to start taking blood pressure meds about a month ago and am trying to keep my sodium around 1200-1500 mg a day. But like I mentioned I have hypertension stage 1.

That's based on old, poorly conceived science.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt

Lays out a pretty good explanation.