Overcoming temptation

Options
I saved $500 not buying cigarettes since I quit 2 months ago. Now I have to find the strength to stay away from the sweets. Suggestions?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Keep saving and go on a cruise. B), h.
    Congrats on the smokes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Try 3 servings of fruit daily.

Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one for whom it has.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I don’t have any suggestions for how to stay away from sweets. But I have succeeded in weight loss largely by fighting my sweet tooth to a draw. Do some research, planning and experimenting. You have to find stuff that works for you. There things helped me-

Donuts- a donut is just a fried wad of goo. For some reason once I got it in my head that donuts were deep fried they became easier to resist.

Cookies- I don’t have much of an answer. I avoid cookies. To me they are like potato chips. I can scarf down 500 calories in a flash. Likewise cake, muffins ( muffins are just cake btw) and pie. My observation is if you are hooked on baked goods, weight loss can be really difficult.

Candy- most candy is just lousy candy. There is some good candy out there but it can be pricy. Especially if purchased 1 piece at a time. I’ve managed to make that strategy work.

But really my whole approach is to avoid certain things by giving in to others. This goes against the sugar addiction grain, but I’ve made it work. Had some success with artificial sweeteners. I do not find them to be the work of the devil.

Mostly I avoid other sweets by having a plan friendly frozen treat in the evening. Usually something modified to make it easier to fit in my plan. My current favorite is Breyer’s No Sugar Added ice cream. Portion controlled with my food scale. But this- if I give in to some other treat during the day- no ice cream. It works.

Fruit- before weight loss I rarely ate fruit. Try this bowl of sliced strawberries, add 1 tsp of sugar. The sugar is 15 cals. Goes a long way.

Got to have some caky type thing on a cold night? Try a piece of toast with sugar free jam.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid sweets, but I limit them. A few of my options:

-Greek yogurt, maybe topped with crunchy cereal, a crumbled cookie or fruit
    - old fashioned oatmeal with brown sugar
    - Low calorie wrap or sandwich flat smeared with sweetened cream cheese or goat cheese, maybe with a topping like cereal, nuts, fruit, PB2, chocolate chips, sugar free jam, caramel syrup, honey, etc... Kinda like a dessert sandwich or quesadilla.
    - frozen berries (thawed) with a dollop of whipped cream or sweetened Greek yogurt
    - Mini Kit-Kat bar 😁

I use Splenda often instead of sugar to reduce calories, just because it works for me. I know some people prefer natural sugars. I also use fat free options on most of my dairy products to reduce calories when it makes sense and tastes acceptable to me.