Help with getting muscular for summer

Options
Hello, my name is Layton. I want to get muscular and skinny for the summer so I’m not emberassed to take my shirt off at the beach. Help. I have been eating cleaner and lost some weight but now I still have fat in my stomach area and still have bad love handles. How do I get rid of this and replace it with muscle??? Thanks

Replies

• laytonperry17
    laytonperry17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It’s not really that I’m fat now, I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 175. I just want to add more muscle to my upper body. Are there any specific lifts that will help my abs be more prevalent and anything to help my chest and biceps? I can’t bench because I’m a pitcher so it’s bad for my shoulders.
    Thanks
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    It’s not really that I’m fat now, I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 175. I just want to add more muscle to my upper body. Are there any specific lifts that will help my abs be more prevalent and anything to help my chest and biceps? I can’t bench because I’m a pitcher so it’s bad for my shoulders.
    Thanks
    Would planks be bad for your shoulders?

First of all, be warned that this all depends a lot on your starting body shape. I am a woman who naturally stores her majority of her weight on her lower body, and used to have zero core body strength. I do have fat on my upper body, but most of it isn't there. This all meant that when I did a month-long plank challenge and developed some muscle as a result, I was rewarded with a couple of visible bumps in my torso. Your starting point isn't going to be the same as mine, so you're not necessarily going to get any improvement.

https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/the-30-day-plank-challenge-94913

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I do side bends and leg raises.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Pressing movements are important for chest development. Especially the bench press, it’s the most ideal exercise for the chest because you can overload the movement. It’s really not bad for your shoulders; if you feel it prodomently in your shoulders when you press, you’re probably flaring your elbows a bit too much. Try keeping your elbows tucked a bit with a slight arch in your lower back and chest up. Also a good isolation exercise for the chest are cable crossovers, mix that in on chest day. And for the biceps, chin ups are great for overall bicep development; along with barbell bicep curls, incline dumbbell curls, and some hammer curls are all good exercises for the biceps. Just eat a little below maintenance, and try to use progressive overload on those exercises. Meaning try going up in weight every set, even if it’s only by 5 pounds. Good luck mate

Who the heck "woo'd" that comment?! It was accurate and helpful. Lord.. we should have a pop up when you sign in defining what the "woo" remark actually means, not woo-hoo, but woo! Like boo... = bad.

Also, no specific lifts will help abs be more prevalent... losing fat in the midsection does that (having larger, stronger abs helps them be more visible once you get down in body fat percentage though). And losing fat there, means losing fat everywhere by eating in a caloric deficit.

Provided that deficit still provides enough energy for you to perform your existing sporting activities.

There’s a vandetta against me haha, good info brother
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks

Pressing movements are important for chest development. Especially the bench press, it’s the most ideal exercise for the chest because you can overload the movement. It’s really not bad for your shoulders; if you feel it prodomently in your shoulders when you press, you’re probably flaring your elbows a bit too much. Try keeping your elbows tucked a bit with a slight arch in your lower back and chest up. Also a good isolation exercise for the chest are cable crossovers, mix that in on chest day. And for the biceps, chin ups are great for overall bicep development; along with barbell bicep curls, incline dumbbell curls, and some hammer curls are all good exercises for the biceps. Just eat a little below maintenance, and try to use progressive overload on those exercises. Meaning try going up in weight every set, even if it’s only by 5 pounds. Good luck mate

don't really have to go up in weight every set... you can just add that 5 lbs the following workout... so if this week you lift 100 lbs, next week up it to 105... then 110 the next...

I would suggest at your weight/height, you eat maintenance and try to recomp... make sure to get adequate protein, at 175lbs, 125-150 grams per day should suffice. For lifting, I would suggest following a tried tested and true program. starting strength, strong lifts etc. much better than going in the gym willy nilly and just doing some of this and some of that
  • laytonperry17
    laytonperry17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful. Thank you everyone
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what @NaturalGainsRecned and @jasondjulian said above.

And overall - as other people even above that said - it takes YEARS of hard work to get bodies like the ones you see on posters.

Just enjoy the beach and *kitten* it
  • Fitnessinyour40s
    Fitnessinyour40s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately summer bodies are made in the winter :/ Time depends on your current Bf%. Like the old saying goes... abs are made in the kitchen. Just keep at it and enjoy your summer!
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You need to get your diet on point.Get it dialed in to see results.A cheat day can set you back.Have a small cheat meal on heavy weight training days if you must.Muscle is built by eating at a surplus which wont help you lose fat. Theres no magic formula to a summer body ,like someone mentioned above you need more than 3 months to make it happen. Be consistent and watch what you eat.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Riff1970 wrote: »
    Woo is a good thing, not a bad thing. Somebody “woo” this post please!

on MFP woo is usually a "bad" thing... means you are talking *kitten*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSofokAIiw
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The site added the icon next to the “woo” button to clarify that it is a BAD thing —- as in “that’s a bunch of woo.” As used on MFP it’s short for woowoo.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woo-woo