Running with knee support

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited March 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
MFP friends... I’ve been an off-and-on runner for years. I’m back on currently, and I’m turning 40 this summer. I’m a little concerned that my knees aren’t handling it as well as they used to. It’s not pain, just something feels a little different. A little achy while I’m running (no pain or issues after or between runs). Should I wear sleeve supports on my knees? Is there something else I should do to strengthen them? I’m running 3 days a week, cross training (swim and strength) 2 days a week, with 2 rest days.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get any sort of support unless it's recommended by a doctor or physio as it may make it worse if your knees just need strengthening.

Are you following a program when you do your strength training.

Seeing a physio wouldn't hurt, explain it to them and see what they think.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes, for my strength training I’m doing a Rachel Cosgrove program. I’ve done it before... I’m slowly (2 days a week) working through it and am on the second phase. It works all muscle groups.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    No, sleeve supports will just keep your knees from adapting and strengthening themselves. Worse, you might become dependent and will not be able to run without them.

One thing you might want to try is wall sits. They go a long way into strengthening the muscles around your knees so the joint is absorbing less of the shock. Plus, you only have to do a minute or two once or twice a day (i.e when you're brushing your teeth or waiting for the coffee).

When my knees bothered me enough to be worrying, KT tape helped tide me the rough spots. The two or three day relief was enough to get back to running.