Social Eating and Going Over on the Weekends

Options
I always seem to go over my daily goal on the weekends. Eating is such a social activity for me and many restaurants don't have low calorie options (sometimes the salads are worse than a regular entree). I definitely did better this weekend, going over by less than 200 calories Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

For those who go out to eat with friends/family/SO on the weekends, what has been your strategy for staying under? Especially when the choice of restaurant is not yours?

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Preplanning! Using the advice above is good (banking calories). Also sharing with my SO is a big one. We’ll split a side of sweet potato fries or split a burrito so it’s not too much food for one person.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    When I go out, it’s a protein and a veggie. A veggie can be a plain salad with dressing on the side. But that’s it - no bread, no appetizer (unless it’s like shrimp cocktail)... I’m there to be social. Steak (round or loin is lean), grilled chicken, grilled shrimp or fish. I will also order a salad but remove anything that doesn’t fit to keep it... protein and veggies. I know people do broth based soups but many restaurants use oil in the base or fatty cuts of meat. So I just avoid it unless I know the nutrition info. Another idea is to take your own car, go late... towards the end and just order dessert or coffee if that can fit in.

You can also plan ahead. That makes me feel empowered. Which is I why I just stick to lean protein and veggies - that’s my planning. I do eat carbs - but at restaurants it’s really hard to control how they are prepared so to me it’s not worth it. I’d rather eat them at home.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    You’ve gotten some good advice here.

Want to add this- wondering if you are going to get pushback from family and friends. Restaurants can be ok if you’re willing to engage with the servers over what’s in a particular dish and special request. The restaurant tend to be pretty accommodating, but you have to be willing to ask. Caesar salad, no croutons, dressing on the side is pretty simple. Or substitute some kind of low cal dressing.

Pancake house? Egg white veggie omelet. sliced tomatoes, wheat toast, no butter. Maybe skip the toast. Like @Liamsm0m pointed out, protein and veggie.

But this- I got my practice with my coworkers. There was a lot of kidding at my job. For awhile I turned down all lunch invites. My coworkers knew why. When I started joining in again my turn to order could take awhile. I made a point of asking the server a lot of questions and making special requests. I knew I was getting somewhere when my dining mates started rolling their eyes and fidgeting in their chairs. Don’t know how you would be with that process but it gets easier with practice.

I find restaurants much easier the people’s homes.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If it’s for breakfast, I would stick to egg white anything and a cheese like feta ... like a spinach, egg & feta omelette. Many places are recognizing people want low carb or healthy options. I’ve seen Kodiak cakes on a local menu, for example. Many breakfast places also allow a la carte. So 2 scrambled egg whites with turkey bacon for example, should work.
    Your family or friends will notice. But that’s ok. They aren’t stepping on the scale with you. It drives me crazy when my husband asks can you eat that? Like he’s trying to help but I don’t want anyone focusing on my food. So to him I just roll my eyes and say I CAN eat anything but today I’m not choosing that. :) I find saying yep... ordering different because my health matters to me usually staves people off vs “I’m on a diet”.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Part of my struggle is the lack of routine and schedule on the weekends. I am at work all day M-F so there is less idle time. On the weekend I am trying to keep myself busy so I don't snack. When I go out to eat I also do the protein and veggie meals. If I get a salad dressing on the side (depending who I am with I will actually bring my own dressing). And the key for me is to stop when I am satisfied and not too keep eating until I am bursting.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If I know where I'm going, I'll look at the menu online ahead of time to plan out what I want to order.

Otherwise, just avoid fried dishes, pasta dishes and anything with a cream or cheese sauce to minimize calorie consumption. This isn't foolproof, but it can help you choose a healthier dinner. You can also just order whatever you want and only eat half and take the other half home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I work to my weekly goal and save sone calories Monday to Thursday so I can eat more at the weekend.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I try to account for a big meal throughout the week by reducing daily intake by 100-200 calories or I add in some extra exercise. This gives me some extra cushion for social eating. I also make sure I don't go to a social event hungry. Having a lower calorie snack before helps me make better choices since I'm not starving.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. After realizing not logging was just hurting myself, I decided to go back to what I did that worked:

Intermittent fasting the morning of to save calories for later.
    A little extra cardio.
    Look up the menu before hand and pre- plan my meals and treats.