Building arms with compound movements

Options
Why is every part of my body growing except my arms? Im doing compound exercises such as deadlifts, benchpress and rows. My back, chest and abs have grown but my arms remain small. Why does this happen?

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Are you doing pullups? You could try adding in something like some close grip bench presses to focus on your triceps after your regular bench.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    All of those will work the arms, but not the primary focus. Do some additional isolation work for your arms.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I add in isolation exercises such as tricep pulldowns, cable hammer curls, tricep kickbacks and barbell curls, twice a week. No problems here!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If something isn't responding well that you're capable of within your programming in most cases it comes down to enough stimulus.

Many ways to skin the cat but I usually either dose myo reps or AMRAP sets on a 6-7 min timer while leaving at least one in the tank on all sets. Both are very effective and efficient for arms if doing iso exercises.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) doing some isolation work. Shoulder press, bicep curl, triceps pull down etc.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Check out Craig Capurso on bodybuilding.com. He's got some good training suggestions there, and the arms to match...
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Need excercises where you can load up the biceps and triceps. Chin ups (weighted) if body weight isn’t enough. If you can get at least 10-12 reps with body weight, use a 25lb plate and try for 4-6 reps. Focus on squeezing the bicep at the top of the chin up. Barbell bicep curls are good, incline dumbbell curls, spider curls, hammers are all good exercises for the biceps. Weighted dips, close grip pin press, single arm dumbbell skull crushers are all great exercises for the triceps. Good luck building them arms, try hitting them 2-3x a week. 💪