Counting Calories vs Counting Macros

Options
ccruz985
ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
I previously lost 60lbs by counting calories ans exercising. I've regained about 40 of those pounds after a couple of years of surgery and broken bones. I have been 100% cleared to return to my former workout glory and I'm doing well. My issue is food; I don't know what changed but I cannot for the life of me stick to the 1300 - 1400 calories I used to. I feel like my stomach is eating my spine. Someone suggesting that I start counting my macros and I wasn't sure where to start so I took a test on this website (https://www.iifym.com/) and with my stats, I got 2082 calories a day with 143g protein, 82g fat, 193g carbs, and 24 - 30g fiber. That feels like a lot of calories and carbs to me, too many to sustain loss and may even facilitate gain. I lift heavy 3x weeks and do 30 minutes of cardio at least 3x weekly one 15 - 20 minute HIIT workout a week. I am just tired of being hungry all the time.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    calories for weight loss; macros for satiety

that being said - you'd be surprised about what you may maintain on - i'm 5'3", 160lbs and maintain on close to 2800cal a day - increased calories, increased my NEAT which meant that I burnt more calories in general a day etc
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? What is your height, current weight, and deficit? How many calories does MFP tell you to eat when you enter your info?

It's possible that 1300-1400 calories is too large of a deficit for you, but 2082 is a big jump up from that. Generally macros are helpful for weight loss by helping you understand what makes you feel fuller. For many people including myself, more protein and fat and fewer carbs leads to better satiety.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you can't sustain 1300 - 1400 and think 2082 is too much then maybe split the difference?
    After a month you will have a much better idea and can adjust if required.

Not sure why you made the comment about "too many carbs" leading to weight gain, even a really high carb amount in a calorie deficit would still result in weight loss. Too many carbs for eating preferences or certain health concerns would be valid reasons though.

BTW - remember IIFYM website is a TDEE calculator so it includes an average estimate for your exercise and isn't directly comparable to a number from MyFitnessPal which excludes exercise.

You're right about the carb thing, I'm still getting out of that. I know better too.

I forgot about that difference between the two sites, thank you! I am going to split the difference and see what happens. Thanks so much.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    With counting macros, I feel full on less calories than just a free for all reduced calorie diet. I should get back into macros... it helps a lot. Here is a sample of a 1200 calorie diet. If I eat less than 100 grams carbs, I just eat more fat or protein. If I exercise regularly, bumping the calories up to 1600 would still help me lose. I don’t use special equipment like fitbits.
    Protein 100 grams =400 calories
    Fat 41 grams =400 calories
    Carbs 100 grams=400 calories
    I am 5’2” and I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. My goal weight is 130 on my home scale (in the am, without clothes ect) or 135 on the gym scale (normal with clothes and food in my belly).
    You can add me if you like 🥑