Problem losing weight I gained from depression meds

Options
2»

Replies

• linda513
    linda513 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I gained 45 pounds while on Zoloft. It made me very tired, I was sleeping 2 hours in the afternoon and 10 hours at night. I was also more hungry and I ate more. I lost the weight after I stopped the medication. But I do know that some SSRIs can change your metabolism - a good friend had her RMR tested before meds and was burning 1500 calories at rest, after starting the meds she had the RMR retested, and she was only burning 1200 calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    linda513 wrote: »
    I gained 45 pounds while on Zoloft. It made me very tired, I was sleeping 2 hours in the afternoon and 10 hours at night. I was also more hungry and I ate more. I lost the weight after I stopped the medication. But I do know that some SSRIs can change your metabolism - a good friend had her RMR tested before meds and was burning 1500 calories at rest, after starting the meds she had the RMR retested, and she was only burning 1200 calories.

So still cals in vs cals out, just the meds change one side of the equatiin and may make you hungrier too
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I gained and lost weight on SSRIs (prescribed for neuro pain), over a 2 year period. I stopped the meds about halfway through my main cut (50+ lbs) and my data showed that the meds made no real difference to my BMR. My rate of loss with and without the meds was the same.