Struggling with appetite

I'm two months into the SL program and I'm seeing some great results. Issue is my appetite has taken a huge nosedive. I workout 6 days a week and eat about about 1400 cals a day (and it's a reach to eat that much). I did a few online calculators and my TDEE is 2200 cals for maintenance. Ultimately my goal is to gain muscle so my initial thought is I should be eating at least 2200. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What are your stats? If you are at a good weight for your height with a higher bodyfat then recomp (where you would eat at maintenance) is a way to build muscle and lose fat over time.

Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Have you been losing on 1400?

If you need to get more calories in, this link can help

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • cj778449
    cj778449 Posts: 49 Member
    I'm 5'6", 154 lbs, 21% bf. Yes, I'm losing at 1400. Losing about 2 pounds a week. I weigh and measure all my food and prep my meals ahead of time. Have zero desire to eat though, it's very bizarre because I love food.
  • sardelsa
    edited March 2019
    You can start to maintain if you want or lose with a small deficit. You are just on the cusp of overweight. But you definitely want to add more cals in.

How long have you lost your appetite, could you be sick?
  • cj778449
    Thanks! Not sick, feeling the best I've felt in years. I have a history of overeating so I wonder if it's my body getting adjusted to me not overeating.
  • sardelsa
    Sometimes this is referred to as the "honeymoon phase" of dieting and it is usually goes back to normal in a few weeks or so. In the meantime see that link, play around with your macros (ex. Get adequate protein but not too much to kill appetite) also reduce volume of food and go for more calorie dense foods like higher fat.. nuts, but butters, full fat dairy, oils etc.
  • cj778449
    Great suggestions thank you!!