Keto didn’t work

Options
luciG2423
luciG2423 Posts: 5 Member
So my Keto diet didn’t work whatsoever
If anything I have put on weight.
I’m going to try the old method of a balanced diet, small portions and 4/5 times a week exercise. Any tips !!?

Replies

• JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Log all your food daily. Don't lie Do the rest you said!!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Keto only works by following the same laws of science as any other diet: you need to eat less calories than you burn. A lot of people unfortunately pitch it as this magic bullet where you can eat whatever you want and your Ketotones will blah blah blah. But it doesn't work that way. It works by creating a calorie deficit, plain and simple.

I think your best bet would be to try to follow the MFP model: set a reasonable weight loss goal, eat at MFP recommended calorie goals, and eat back your exercise calories. For most of us, that is the most natural and sustainable way to lose weight.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    What has been said above - diet will work - ANY diet - if you eat less than you burn.

Stick to the calorie guide MFP gives you and eat your calories back OR calculate your calories using tdeecalculator.net and don't eat back exercise calories (just log them as 1).

Personally, I like 4-5 balanced meals throughout the day. I get less hungry that way.

Oh yes - and set a moderate deficit so that you're not starving. When you start getting too hungry it's easier to derail.

Keto isn't magic or necessary. And neither is the Beachbody that the person above is spruiking.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Count your calories. Weigh your food. Log your eats. Be patient.
    Exercise, for well-being and good health.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    How much time did you give it?

Were you eating a small enough amount to lose weight?

I'm not saying you were doing this, but I have seen many who believe that they should load up on lots and lots of fat (so much that they are eating in a large caloric surplus) in order to lose weight. Some people actually believe eating excess fat calories will help them lose body fat.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to give yourself some time to experiment. You WILL find what works best for you. I lost the same 10 pounds several times before I finally worked out the best program for me. After that, I was able to lose my targeted 50 pounds pretty easily. I needed to find the right balance of foods (protein, carbs, fats, fiber) so that I maintained a farily even level of energy and did not end up getting too tired or too hungry. That balance, I think, really varies by person and what their daily activity looks like. Nearly any 'diet' works, but not every diet works equally well for everyone.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup, common misconception about Keto is you can eat as much as you want. Nope. Calories count no matter what program you use. Keto tends to fill people up because of the high fat content so they aren't hungry as quickly. That's good but if you aren't eating from hunger it won't help you. I just started a lower fat Keto (50% - 60% because I have no gall bladder) less than a week ago. I am still on 1300 calories but I'm not hungry anymore. That doesn't mean I don't have cravings. But I am full and don't want to eat. I've been on Maintenance for over a year but was always hungry and my BP is skyrocketing.

If Keto isn't your thing you can lose just as effectively on low calorie. Use the MFP calculator to determine the right calories for you and stick with it. You will ultimately lose weight but be patient. It took a long time to gain it and it will take a long time to lose it. Measure your food by weighing it. Alot of people skip this then wonder why the diet isn't "working". Most of us don't know what a portion really looks like. A food scale is $20 to $30 and worth every penny. Good luck on your new program.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Were you tracking your calorie intake during your keto experience?

This. Keto or what you are now planning to try (as well as lots of other options) all work -- IF calories are on point.

Are you trying to find a method without logging?
  • xcc670
    xcc670 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the comments. I haven't found what works for me yet, but I get it. At the end of the day it is CICO.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    InsertFunnyUsernameHere Posts: 271 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    luciG2423 wrote: »
    So my Keto diet didn’t work whatsoever
    If anything I have put on weight.
    I’m going to try the old method of a balanced diet, small portions and 4/5 times a week exercise. Any tips !!?

Count calories. Be accurate and honest and count them all (even condiments!). Use the tools here to figure your TDEE. Set your goal to be 250 or 500 less than that and eat whatever foods you like so long as you eat your goal calories and not more. If you are still hungry at your goal calories, you can change the mix of foods so that you are eating foods that satiate you more AND/OR add some cardio exercise to earn more calories to eat on those days of exercise. This works if you stick with it.

In terms of strategy tips. I found I lost weight the best when I was only drinking water. I cut all other drinks out of my diet. You'd be surprised how many calories people drink without realizing it.

Also, simply walking more helped. Making the effort everyday meant I was adding cardio calories every day, so I could eat more (to not be hungry).

Finally, I found comfort in choosing several breakfasts, several lunches, and several dinners that I could swap back and forth from day to day for variety, but which I already knew met my goals when added together. It took a lot of the calorie counting stress out of the equation for me. As long as I chose from those lists of meals, I was fine. Obviously this meant eating out was off the table for me, but I was ok with that.

• InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    You need to count macros and calories to stay in a deficit

Macros don't have anything to do with losing weight.

Macros are just about making sure you get enough healthy fats (9 calories/gram) and protein (4 calories/gram) in your diet.

Once you know your daily minimum amounts, then you can choose the foods you want to eat so that you are under your daily calorie goal, while being at (or over) your daily minimums for fats and protein. Once those are met, you can fill the remaining calories any way you want (fats, protein, and/or carbs).

For example, let's say you figure out you need a MINIMUM of 35g of fat and 100g of protein each day. Your calorie goal for losing weight is also 1600. This means you should eat:

35 x 9 = 315 calories of healthy fats
    100 x 4 = 400 calories of protein
    1600 - 315 - 400 = 885 calories of any combination of healthy fats/proteins/carbs you want.

I personally would set an upper limit on fats, but some diets allow for a lot of fat (e.g. Keto IIRC).

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You need to count macros and calories to stay in a deficit

This is incorrect.

Macros ratios don't really matter for weight loss, it comes down to being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,796 Member
    Options
    This is how I ate to lose around 50 pounds in a bit less than a year, at age 59-60 (while hypothyroid, if it mattters (I think it doesn't ;) ), and stayed at a healthy weight for about 3 years since:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/

It's very flexible.

Best wishes!
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This is what works for me. Low carb, high fat, moderate protein, avoid highly processed food. I have high blood glucose, and insulin resistance issues.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    BTW - that high fat keeps you full thing? Not true for everyone. Every single time i've tried to eat low carb higher fat I have been STARVING and gets to a point that just looking at fatty stuff makes me nauseous. I actually do get nauseous after more than a week or so.

But - if I eat the exact same number of calories with different split of macros - i'm fine. not dying of starvation, not nauseous, nothing. just fine. I've experimented more than once with this. Same result every time. The only difference is that I lost more water weight when on lower carb. but that's it. nothing else apart from feeling like *kitten*