I had weight loss surgery, but...

Options
...it was ten years ago, and despite originally coming close to my goal weight, over the last five years I've slowly started gaining weight back, crawling back into the "obese" category.

Now the good news is I'm still about 50 pounds away from where I started (current weight 222), and that I don't have any binge eating issues, and can still only eat portions that are quite small.

My downfall was SUGAR, candy specifically, and a few years after surgery I could barely stomach it. Slowly, my tolerance grew and addiction worsened, but at the end of last year, I decided to just quit it, and I haven't had any since. It was easier than I'd made it out in my head.

Then I started exercising daily. Currently I swim for about an hour every morning. I've set myself a calorie goal, starting last week, and have had no issues sticking to it.

So I am back, and more motivated than ever, and I would dearly love more friends on here, who are on similar journies! I keep my Diary open to friends, try to post photos regularly about what I'm doing, etc.

So please feel free to friend me! :)

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I had a lapband installed about ten years ago and had the same issues. I lost about 15 pounds but most of that was presurgery. They don't tell you that a sugar addiction is unlikely to be cured by weight loss surgery. I finally had to have the band removed because my pouch got stretched out. It's a long story. I came to MFP in 2015 and lost 85+ pounds. Your surgery will only be one tool in your toolbox but I'm here to tell you that you can do it. I was 59 years old when I finally got my eating under control. You are young so you will have advantages that I didn't have. Take it one step at a time and find what works for you. Be patient and accept that it will take some time but that it will be permanent this time. Good luck.