2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    z4oslo wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Starting next week (if the weather cooperates), I plan on starting to walk a few times a week after dinner. I'd like to work up to doing C25K eventually, but I'm currently too out of shape to keep up with the program. Currently, I know I can walk about a half mile before needing to take a rest. Its pretty pitiful, but that's where I'm at.

I was thinking of walking an extra quarter mile a week until I'm up to a full mile and then start adding in some intermittent jogging. I figure that once I can do at least a mile with half of that being jogging, I should be able to start C25k.

Is there a better way to build up stamina and/or get in better running shape? Does my plan sound reasonable?

Are you sure you want to to this? It can really mess with you head, and you might end up enjoy running. Before you know it, you might find yourself browsing the web for new trainers, and you learn to use new words, words you might never have spoken before, like Strava and Garmin. And you WILL find yourself watching endless hours of videos on Youtube, wanting to become a better runner.

Just a fair warning!

I don't watch anything on YouTube about running... that must be where I'm going wrong :laugh:

Neither do I. Maybe that's why I'm such a plodder. I do have a trainer that tells me everything I need to be thinking about and working on though

I just run...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @rhaiin Great advice and support from everyone above.
    Especially the Repeat weeks as you feel necessary.

Visit a running specific shoe store ( not Walmart or Joes we do everything store ) where they will do a Gait Analysis ( watch you walk barefoot and then a short run on the in-store treadmill while doing a video of foot strike positions ) and recommend some shoes based on what they see. Some stores now use 2 cameras - one from the side and one from the rear to see both views at the same time. If the store does not have a treadmill/video system - walk away. A good resource is if there is a local running club they may have some store recommendations. Since you are doing C25K make sure you tell them explicitly what you are doing before the analysis. Don't be afraid to ask for last years models ( discounted to clear out ) or a more budget friendly shoe. When I did my first analysis I probably tried on 10 differant shoes before I found 2-3 pairs that felt good while walking around the store. Then onto the treadmill with them and picked the one that felt the best. Make note of the 2nd choice shoes as they may become 1st choice as you do more activities.

Warning it's addictive, I have 4 road shoes in rotation and 3 trail shoes plus a few pairs in reserve in the closet.