Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Everything has so many calories.. should I count my protein?

Do you guys count your protein powder or do you even take it? Do you think it’s worth all the added calories? Also.. my base calories is set at 1200 and I feel that’s way too low.. should I raise it? Or should I leave it that low

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited March 2019
    Your protein powder may well be a significant proportion of your tiny calorie allowance - if you are calorie counting then count your calories.

I supplement with protein shakes when I don't get enough protein from my normal diet and want an inexpensive, convenient and relatively low calorie option for protein. It's a supplement not a necessity, just a different food choice really.

Think carefully about the rate of weight loss you selected in your goal set up, the faster the rate you selected the less you get to eat.
    Did you select the right activity setting? (Many understate their activity.)
    Did you realise that your goal is plus exercise calories and 1200 you selected by the option you picked is really 1200 + exercise calories?

No-one knows your stats or how much weight you have to lose. Is it appropriate for you? Is it sustainable for you?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I count everything I eat. I use whey protein to supplement so that I reach my goal of 100-110 grams of protein a day. If your 1200 calorie limit is set because you have told MFP you want to lose 2 pounds a week, I would suggest that you definitely up your calories to losing a pound a week or less, because 1) why suffer? and 2) a very steep deficit sometimes backfires because people often naturally reduce their level of general activity so that they're burning fewer calories. That's my two cents
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Whether or not your calorie goal is appropriate depends on your activity level, height, and amount of weight to lose. Most of the time when people get a very low calorie goal, it's because they set a rate of loss that's unreasonably fast given their stats.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Do you guys count your protein powder or do you even take it? Do you think it’s worth all the added calories? Also.. my base calories is set at 1200 and I feel that’s way too low.. should I raise it? Or should I leave it that low

How much total weight are you trying to lose, and how many lbs per week did you tell MFP you want to lose?

Protein powder is just a way to hit your protein goal - are you struggling to get enough protein?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

measure and log ALL calories yes.
    1200 is likely to low. enter your stats in MFP and select a reasonable and healthy rate of loss and see what it gives, remember to eat ALL of those AND to eat back those exercise calories ON TOP on that.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    different people find differen things filling, but some like me enjoy foods low in caloric density so we can eat more volume. here is a thread on the topic
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited March 2019

Unless you are both very very short AND sedentary, yes 1200 creates more aggressive of a calorie deficit that you really need:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you eat it, you need to log it.
    Look at it this way: NOT logging something doesn't make it not have calories. Your body knows about calories even if MFP doesn't.