Am I Neglecting My Calves?

So I just started Phase II of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. I'm doing a 5-day split and two of those days include calf work (pretty much just just different variations of calf raises). During phase I, I skipped most of the calf work and did glute accessory work instead. Now that I'm moving on to a new phase, I've been wondering if I should be doing the calf stuff.

Calves have never been something I have worried about. Aesthetically they are fine, not too big or too small, and, they don't really ever get sore, so I don't think they are weak.

Is there any reason to do dedicated calf exercises?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I skip any and all calf work. If I see it in a program it's the first thing I get rid of, but many programs I do don't have it. My calves are big enough and clearly they get enough stimulation from my lower work and daily activities. I don't see any issues with replacing it with something else.
  • Iain__Fraser
    Iain__Fraser Posts: 26 Member
    Train all bodyparts.
  • sardelsa
    This is a direct quote from Matthews from TLS, pg 193

"If you don't want bigger calves, then you can simply omit calf training from the program"
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    If you're following the plan, follow the plan.

There's definitely an argument to be made for following the plan as prescribed.
    My thought process is: I'm mostly working out for aesthetic goals (and to gain some upper body strength), so if I'm fine with how my calves look, what's the point of hitting them with two different exercises, twice a week.
    Do calves not get enough work in compound movements like deadlifts and squats?
    Are there any benefits to calf raises that I'm missing out on?
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I skip any and all calf work. If I see it in a program it's the first thing I get rid of, but many programs I do don't have it. My calves are big enough and clearly they get enough stimulation from my lower work and daily activities. I don't see any issues with replacing it with something else.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't want to look back in a few years and think dang I should have really worked my calves more. But I also don't want to waste my time with a bunch of dedicated calf work if I don't need it.
  • sardelsa
    If you're following the plan, follow the plan.

There's definitely an argument to be made for following the plan as prescribed.
    My thought process is: I'm mostly working out for aesthetic goals (and to gain some upper body strength), so if I'm fine with how my calves look, what's the point of hitting them with two different exercises, twice a week.
    Do calves not get enough work in compound movements like deadlifts and squats?
    Are there any benefits to calf raises that I'm missing out on?

If you were trying to build them, I would say squats and deadlifts would not be enough. But since you aren't I don't see issues with skipping especially when the author of the program says they are more just for aesthetics.

Up to you though. You can always do them once a week if you start to feel they are looking deflated.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I have very large calf muscles and they definitely don't need to be any bigger or more defined, so if it was me, I'd skip them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If your goals included calf hypertrophy then yes I would recommend the iso work.

If your program includes squats and deadlifts and you are comfortable with your calfs, I wouldn't be concerned in the least.
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    I am over here jelly of everyone big calfs and mine just wont grow no matter what I do lol!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    This is me! 1 year lifting and I didn't do any calf isolation but I am now. I have chicken legs.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2019
    So I just started Phase II of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. I'm doing a 5-day split and two of those days include calf work (pretty much just just different variations of calf raises). During phase I, I skipped most of the calf work and did glute accessory work instead. Now that I'm moving on to a new phase, I've been wondering if I should be doing the calf stuff.

Calves have never been something I have worried about. Aesthetically they are fine, not too big or too small, and, they don't really ever get sore, so I don't think they are weak.

Is there any reason to do dedicated calf exercises?

Your calves with your proportions are as you've described :) .

Those who are dedicated to calf exercises are either fitness and extreme sports enthusiasts or are active in competitive sports, if they're not aesthetics garnered.

• sardelsa
    I think training calves is kinda silly unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder

Or someone wants to grow their calves.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    xrdibxf2ztnz.png
    I hear they are always looking for new members dedicated to not training calves & believing calves = 100% genetics

If I recall, this cult was founded by Omar Isuf

I'm not allowed in (haves vs. the have nots of calves)
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I just finished Phase 1, Week 2, of TLS and have been thinking of dropping the calf exercises. I'm happy with the way mine look. I also run 1-3x a week, which I feel works them out way more than any isolation exercise I've done.