Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How reliant have you become on fitness tech?

Options
Phirrgus
Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
edited March 2019 in Debate Club
I started with an Apple Watch 2 a while back, and liked being able to track the info it showed. It did motivate me in some odd, maybe not healthy "Got to close the rings" kind of way, yet today I'm actually considering dumping the watch altogether and going completely old school because I can feel myself wanting to fixate on the device and the info it's tracking. Don't like that.

My buddy, just this morning told be he's having a hard time getting his cardio done because he can't find anything decent on Netflix to watch. I asked him about what I posted above and he said he doesn't "feel" as if he accomplished what he should have if he doesn't close the rings and/or see certain numbers.

Just for discussion purposes, what are your opinions on how much is too much dependence on wearable (or other) tech?

edit: Using a fitbit Versa now for what it's worth.

Replies

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do not have a wearable fitness tracker. I already use my phone too much, and sit in front of a screen at work. When at the gym, I intentionally leave my phone in my locker. No headphones or music, except whatever is on the gym’s sound system.

Am I missing out? No idea. There are two young women I work with at one of my jobs and they have their technology strapped to their biceps. I think it’s ridiculous.
  • rosiorama
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I just walk for exercise. I've never used any fitness tech. I've lost the excess weight/maintain without any of the fancy gadgets.

I'm old school but more than that-I'm cheap LOL :)

Most of this applies to me, too. Even when I was running.

Why should I spend money so I can obsess even more about my weight and stats?
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    I just walk for exercise. I've never used any fitness tech. I've lost the excess weight/maintain without any of the fancy gadgets.

HA! I need to be lol :)
    rosiorama wrote: »
    I do not have a wearsble fitness tracker. I already use my phone too much, and sit in front of a screen at work. When at the gym, I intentionally leave my phone in my locker. No headphones or music, except whatever is on the gym’s sound system.

Am I missing out?
    No idea. There are two young women I work with at one of my jobs and they have their technology strapped to their biceps. I think it’s ridiculous.
    After using multiple devices for a few years...I don't think you're missing out.

Granted, my PoV is that of a guy doesn't bike or run any great distances, or swim - all weightroom type workouts. I could see myself thinking differently if I engaged in those activities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

HA! I need to be lol :)
    rosiorama wrote: »
    I do not have a wearsble fitness tracker. I already use my phone too much, and sit in front of a screen at work. When at the gym, I intentionally leave my phone in my locker. No headphones or music, except whatever is on the gym’s sound system.

Am I missing out?
    No idea. There are two young women I work with at one of my jobs and they have their technology strapped to their biceps. I think it’s ridiculous.
    After using multiple devices for a few years...I don't think you're missing out.

Granted, my PoV is that of a guy doesn't bike or run any great distances, or swim - all weightroom type workouts. I could see myself thinking differently if I engaged in those activities.

For running outdoors, I find a running app really useful especially when I'm training for a specific distance. You can pay attention to the run and the scenery and know that the app will let you know when you've hit nine or ten miles or whatever and it's time to go home.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    I enjoy having my Fitbit calculate my calories and a running app to tell me how far I've run. I appreciate being able to quickly look up calorie counts so I can make food decisions when I'm out in the world. I like being able to listen to podcasts while I run.

But I think I could do without them.

To me personally, too much dependence would be when I wouldn't do the activities without them. Skipping a run because my app wasn't working or deciding to eat huge meals because the MFP database was down, stuff like that.

LOL, an mfp friend was debating whether or not to do exactly that the other day because he couldn't access the database.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Alta for Christmas and I use it, but I don't obsess about it. I work a desk job so I like the reminder every hour to get up and move (if I haven't already) and yes I get motivated to complete the goals I have logged in. So as I think it has helped to motivate me for sure I am on board with it.
    As for Netflix, I am trying to find a way to entertain myself now that I have switched to the bike from the treadmill. I always run with music, but I find the bike is mind numbingly boring. Somehow feel like I am "cheating" if I watch TV while I pedal - like it isn't a proper workout . Right now I am using audible to listen to books instead. Again I am on board with that technology because I probably wouldn't finish many workouts in the winter just staring at the walls (wind chill is ridiculous here this week.)
    If I walk/run/kayak/bike outside I can't wear headphones - it makes me nervous if I can't hear what is going on around me and I find it more stimulating to be outside so I don't really need it.
  • rosiorama
    Options
    I DO NOT need a reminder to get up every hour from my desk at work. I stand up probably every half hour because I have always had trouble sitting still/concentrating for longer periods of time. Plus, I drink a lot of water and coffee during the day!

I don’t wear headphones when I walk or cycle outside because it also makes me nervous. One of my pet peeves is walkers who block my path when cycling on the BiKE path - what they’re listening to with their headphones makes them deaf to my bike bell or my verbal warnings that I’m behind them. 🙄
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I just got a Fitbit Alta for Christmas and I use it, but I don't obsess about it. I work a desk job so I like the reminder every hour to get up and move (if I haven't already) and yes I get motivated to complete the goals I have logged in. So as I think it has helped to motivate me for sure I am on board with it.
    As for Netflix, I am trying to find a way to entertain myself now that I have switched to the bike from the treadmill. I always run with music, but I find the bike is mind numbingly boring. Somehow feel like I am "cheating" if I watch TV while I pedal - like it isn't a proper workout . Right now I am using audible to listen to books instead. Again I am on board with that technology because I probably wouldn't finish many workouts in the winter just staring at the walls (wind chill is ridiculous here this week.)
    If I walk/run/kayak/bike outside I can't wear headphones - it makes me nervous if I can't hear what is going on around me and I find it more stimulating to be outside so I don't really need it.

This. My fitbit has reminded me to move more during my day while sitting at my desk. It's also been great for those days that I don't work out and I have been much more motivated to get those 11,000 steps in on those days.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Outside of MFP and a once in a while fitness program on streaming, I'm pretty old school. No wearable, and all the stuff at my normal training is pretty much body weight exercises. The gym doesn't even have AC (and we're in the tropics). As someone who is very connected in my daily life, I find the the kind of primal nature of my workouts to be a breath of fresh air.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I enjoy having my Fitbit calculate my calories and a running app to tell me how far I've run. I appreciate being able to quickly look up calorie counts so I can make food decisions when I'm out in the world. I like being able to listen to podcasts while I run.

To me personally, too much dependence would be when I wouldn't do the activities without them. Skipping a run because my app wasn't working or deciding to eat huge meals because the MFP database was down, stuff like that.

LOL, an mfp friend was debating whether or not to do exactly that the other day because he couldn't access the database.

That's the exact line I'm watching for. I like to use the tools to help me do what I'm going to do anyway. They're not *the reason* why I'm doing it.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

That's the exact line I'm watching for. I like to use the tools to help me do what I'm going to do anyway. They're not *the reason* why I'm doing it.

I like that - agreed.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I wear TWO heart rate monitors when working out! I wear my Apple Watch all the time and when I'm at Orangetheory Fitness I wear my OTF one to link into their system. I find it highly useful. I get the calorie burn and see how much I stayed in the higher heartrate zones during my workout. I track that data in an Excel spreadsheet. I can see my improvements over time: am I able to stay longer in the orange zone (84% or higher of the max heart rate), etc. When I'm working out and see I'm hovering at 82% or 83% I push it a bit harder to make it above 84%.

I like the little notifications I get from my watch for hitting a new move goal for the day, or a new personal best for number of calories burned during a workout. It gives me a little feel good smile, but I don't get hung up on it.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I wear TWO heart rate monitors when working out! I wear my Apple Watch all the time and when I'm at Orangetheory Fitness I wear my OTF one to link into their system. I find it highly useful. I get the calorie burn and see how much I stayed in the higher heartrate zones during my workout. I track that data in an Excel spreadsheet. I can see my improvements over time: am I able to stay longer in the orange zone (84% or higher of the max heart rate), etc. When I'm working out and see I'm hovering at 82% or 83% I push it a bit harder to make it above 84%.

I like the little notifications I get from my watch for hitting a new move goal for the day, or a new personal best for number of calories burned during a workout. It gives me a little feel good smile, but I don't get hung up on it.

Hmmm - you are an outlier to the idea I had when posting this. :D I've never met anyone who used their tech to the exacting degree you're describing and I can see how useful that would be when pursuing your gains the way you are. I'm glad you posted that, gave me something to think about. Thanks :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I don't like gadgets and don't care for "wearable tech" either. I don't even wear a watch anymore (retired), and most of the time my phone and I are in different places ;) so no need to use it for fitness reasons. I always leave my phone inside my gym bag because listen to whatever music is playing at the gym.

No fit-bit or any other fitness tracker for me. I don't want them or need them, and the same with fitness apps. The only exception is MapMyWalk and I only use it to calculate distances, not calories burned when walking.

I use the MFP web version to log my food because I never downloaded the app. No internet, not logging. Freedom!

I move a lot (big house), and I am always fidgeting so I don't need a reminder to get up from my home-desk. My bladder gives me plenty reminders during the day, too. I don’t watch TV during the day, only at night after dinner and by then I enjoy my well-earned relaxation.

If these gadgets had been available when I was much younger, I would “probably” had use them more. But at my age, I like less complications and an easier living life. I didn’t have much to lose when I joined MFP and I got to my goal weigh without the help of apps or fitness trackers. No need for me to use them now after being in maintenance for 9 years. I make food and meal decisions based on my weight, my hunger, my likes and dislikes, and my logging.

As other members posted, I don’t know if or what I am missing, but judging by my result not much and not very important either.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Just for discussion purposes, what are your opinions on how much is too much dependence on wearable (or other) tech?

I think it's important to bring knowledge of the route, or (ideally in any case) a map and compass. Relying only on my watch for navigation would set me up for a miserable night or two if the battery died or the thing crashed. It's been very stable and has great battery life, but I don't want to tempt fate.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I use two apps to track my hikes and take photos with my phone. I don't use any other technology on my hikes.

If I had to get back on the treadmill for some reason (can't think of even one reason I would need to), I would need a serious amount technology because running on the treadmill is about the most boring exercise I've ever engaged in.

And then I read the forums on MFP way too often!
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are struggling with insomnia engage a serious cyclist in a conversation about cycling technology - guaranteed zzzzzzz.

When I'm training indoors I've got data whizzing about everywhere.
    My HRM is linked to the bike and also my Garmin cycling computer, my phone is linked to the WiFi for music (via wireless headphones of course!) and also controls the bike and gets data back from the bike, the Garmin is also picking up the power, speed and cadence sensors from the bike.

I'm not reliant on the data and technology but it makes the exercise more interesting and opens the door to making my training far more technical and precise. I don't have to guess if I'm improving or not, I've got the data to prove it.

Outdoor riding using Garmin and Strava gives me a load of useful or simply interesting information and adds to the enjoyment. It's fun reviewing your progress and comparing yourself to others. Having started working in IT way back in 1978 I still have a sense of wonderment that I've got mapping of the whole of Western Europe on my cycle computer.
    What no paper tape or punched cards? ;)
    I did my first few long distance events trying to use paper turn-by-turn cryptic instructions and having got lost several times I can vouch for the usefulness and convenience of today's tech.

On the other hand I've never had any real interest in tracking activity (as opposed to exercise) with an all day tracker. Simply doesn't interest me, it's performance data I want - I don't care if I've done xxxx or xxxxx steps.

Oh you are way past anything I've done LOL. I was happy just getting my watch to pair with the phone correctly :) Great point (again) about using the data to map progress. I do with my weight, and have the capabilities to track strength via an app I like, but never really considered trying to tie it all together the way you and FireOpalCO are doing. Thank you :)
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don't like gadgets and don't care for "wearable tech" either. I don't even wear a watch anymore (retired), and most of the time my phone and I are in different places ;) so no need to use it for fitness reasons. I always leave my phone inside my gym bag because listen to whatever music is playing at the gym.

No fit-bit or any other fitness tracker for me. I don't want them or need them, and the same with fitness apps. The only exception is MapMyWalk and I only use it to calculate distances, not calories burned when walking.

I use the MFP web version to log my food because I never downloaded the app. No internet, not logging. Freedom!

I move a lot (big house), and I am always fidgeting so I don't need a reminder to get up from my home-desk. My bladder gives me plenty reminders during the day, too. I don’t watch TV during the day, only at night after dinner and by then I enjoy my well-earned relaxation.

If these gadgets had been available when I was much younger, I would “probably” had use them more. But at my age, I like less complications and an easier living life. I didn’t have much to lose when I joined MFP and I got to my goal weigh without the help of apps or fitness trackers. No need for me to use them now after being in maintenance for 9 years. I make food and meal decisions based on my weight, my hunger, my likes and dislikes, and my logging.

As other members posted, I don’t know if or what I am missing, but judging by my result not much and not very important either.

You have much more the mind set I'm currently at, so I can really appreciate what you're saying. Thanks for the input :)

I think it's important to bring knowledge of the route, or (ideally in any case) a map and compass. Relying only on my watch for navigation would set me up for a miserable night or two if the battery died or the thing crashed. It's been very stable and has great battery life, but I don't want to tempt fate.

Even though I'm not a cyclist I had not considered that. If I were to go by your user name and guess at location I would not want to be stranded either. Not my idea of fun at all.