Getting Stronger for Climbing

Options
So I went to a climbing gym for the first time this weekend and realized just how weak those particular muscles are. Maybe some of them aren't even used outside of climbing; I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was wondering what might be the best approach to gaining this kind of functional strength? I own You Are Your Own Gym, and it seems logical that body weight exercise would be a good match for an activity where your own body weight is what works against (or for) you. Does that sound like a plan? Is there a better way. Of course, I know that climbing itself is part of the path to improvement, but focused workouts matter too, I believe.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you want to get better at climbing, climb a lot. Get a length of rope and practice tying in too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises like pushups and pull ups are good. Also, if you have weight to lose, losing the weight will help.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you want to get better at climbing, climb a lot. Get a length of rope and practice tying in too.

You mean actual climbing rope and not just like Rope Rope right?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Body weight exercises like pushups and pull ups are good. Also, if you have weight to lose, losing the weight will help.

I'd like to lose about another 20. That would put me in the low 140s. Alex Honnold is I think about 150 but he's got four inches on me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Consider talking to the staff at the gym and fellow climbers there. It's not just the arms , but also legs and core
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rock-climbing-how-to-cross-train.html
    https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/ultimate-indoor-rock-climbing-workout/
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As a new climber, the best way to get better at climbing is to just climb more. Improving your technique and body positioning will help you to climb harder much faster than just trying to improve strength. Focus on your footwork and keeping your arms straight to take weight off of your upper body muscles. Keeping your hips into the wall and using both the inside and outside of your feet will give you more reach on long moves.

However, if you do not have a good general fitness base, gaining cardio fitness and endurance will help too. And like people above said, if you have weight to lose, losing that will help. Climbing is a strength to weight ratio sport and you can often feel the difference of a few pounds.

If you frequent a climbing gym, they most likely have fitness classes as well. Try out a fitness for climbing class or talk to one of the trainers about how to take the next steps.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

You mean actual climbing rope and not just like Rope Rope right?

For just tying in and out, any rope around 9 to 10 mm will do. Can't be just any rope out on the crag, but for a figure eight follow through, anything is fine.

I really like single leg Romanian deadlifts. I do them at home with an empty cup. I don't need weight, the movement is hard enough with body weight, the cup is to make sure I go far enough down. Strengthens the core, legs, ankles, and feet, plus it's superb for balance. Slow and controlled movement.