Low carb newbie!

Options
Due to some health reasons I have been trying to lower my carb intake. I typically eat over 250 carbs but I’m just reducing to around 130 or so. Focusing more on whole grains like rice and quinoa. Is it normal to feel like crap the first couple of days?! I am so tired and weak! I have been replacing my normal snacks (chips/breakfast sandwich) with things like nuts, protein bar & egg white bites from Starbucks! I just feel so shakey & exhausted! Is this normal?!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Well, with 130 grams of carbs I'm wondering if the issue is more that you are not eating enough. How many pounds do you want to lose in total and what weekly weight lose goal did you chose?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you're going to reduce carbs then you need to increase the intake of your other macronutrients so you're still hitting your calorie goals. With that being said are the "health reasons" for reducing carbs because you tend to gravitate towards nutritionally lacking carb sources (chips, sweets, etc.)? If this is the case I wouldn't reduce intake, but simply make sure the majority of carbs are coming from nutrient dense sources like ones you mentioned.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Anytime you make a big diet change there is likely to be some adjustment - give it a few weeks. Make sure you’re eating plenty of low GI/GL vegetables, getting good nutrition, not just switching everything to protein.

You may also need to reconsider when you eat; if your body is used to eating highly processed carbs that give a quick fast hit whenever you feel hungry, but protein isn’t digested as fast and gives slow energy release - you might need to make more effort to eat a filling protein rich breakfast that curbs the hunger cravings for a longer period of time, so you’re not craving snacks to pick you up.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat somewhere between 80 and 110 g of carbs daily and I definitely don't feel week unless I'm not getting enough protein. That being said, maybe you are doing too much, too fast? If you are feeling weak and tired maybe you should go back up to 200 g of carbs and try to lower your intake over a few weeks. That will help you make smaller, more sustainable, changes. Maybe try cutting to 200, then the next week to 180, and so on, until you get where your health goals need you to be.