Calculating calories burned

Options
What’s everyone’s take on adding exercise you do to allow extra calories? I am worried I’ll allow too many calories burned and it won’t be accurate so it is better to not include? Thanks

Replies

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. If you're worried about overestimating the burn, start by eating back 1/2 for 3-4 weeks and see what that gets you. I have been using the calorie burn estimations given by MFP and usually eat back 1/2 to all and have had no issues with losing weight as planned.
  • Competeballpythons
    Competeballpythons Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yea just underestimate how much you exercise and overestimate your food intake
    Works for me anyway
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFPs calculations and exercising, you need to eat back at least a good portion of your exercise calories. If the idea of eating back your exercise calories weirds you out, you can try the TDEE formula, which accounts for your exercise already in your daily goal, so you don't need to eat it back. Your daily goal will be higher than MFP though, so it is accounted for one way or another.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    If you are using MFPs calculations and exercising, you need to eat back at least a good portion of your exercise calories. If the idea of eating back your exercise calories weirds you out, you can try the TDEE formula, which accounts for your exercise already in your daily goal, so you don't need to eat it back. Your daily goal will be higher than MFP though, so it is accounted for one way or another.

I use the TDEE formula (tdeecalculator.net) due to this. I prefer to know exactly how much I can eat per day regardless of exercise. I log all my exercise as 1 calorie burnt. Also, it doesn't mess up my macros. If you are a person who tracks macros as well as calories (not necessary for the most part) then the MFP formula completely ruins the macros tracking.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not including them is absolutely guaranteed to be inaccurate.

BTW - deliberately reducing an estimate isn't how to make estimating better, it just makes the number lower.

If you tell people what your exercise routine you might get some advice on the best way to get reasonable estimates - the database here often isn't the best tool to use.