Why should I buy organic?!?

Options
124»

Replies

• JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Those are good 6 myths, I will say if you want watch a video about organic foods check out Penn & Teller's B.S. on organic foods.

One thing that is not in the 6 Myths is that the farmers who use new pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides normally have to use less of the chemical because the pests have not been able to build up a resistance to the chemical. Less chemicals used means less fuel burnt applying those chemicals and less residue on the food.

I can tell you this for a fact, I grew up on a farm and still help out my parents on that same farm and have seen this with my own eyes.

I appreciate your input!

What I'm gathering from all of this info is really that there is no strong RIGHT answer. There are various chemicals being used which are farm specific. As well as a obvious need and desire from multiple posters here on the importance of supporting your local agriculture.

Thanks again everyone, I definitely am going to keep reading these articles and forming my own opinions. Again, all additional comments welcome :)
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We choose organic at every opportunity, for the health of our family, for the health of the pickers that labor in the fields, and for the health of the planet. The avoidance of chemical herbicide, pesticide, fungicide, and fertilizer stuff is the real deal, not a do-gooder-gone-nuts. Please consider it. Local farmers' markets, your own garden, a local CSA, Trader Joe's, you can do this. Many organic farms are smaller, family-owned (although not all, especially in central California), so you're supporting small business too. I like the feeling of eating organic and now look at non-organic as very unappealing, especially the "Dirty Dozen" (please look this list up for your own health).

Good luck!
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We choose organic at every opportunity, for the health of our family, for the health of the pickers that labor in the fields, and for the health of the planet. The avoidance of chemical herbicide, pesticide, fungicide, and fertilizer stuff is the real deal, not a do-gooder-gone-nuts. Please consider it. Local farmers' markets, your own garden, a local CSA, Trader Joe's, you can do this. Many organic farms are smaller, family-owned (although not all, especially in central California), so you're supporting small business too. I like the feeling of eating organic and now look at non-organic as very unappealing, especially the "Dirty Dozen" (please look this list up for your own health).

Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to share, I appreciate it. I am definitely looking into it as much as possible. I haven't committed to either way yet, still doing a bit of research. Because of my own allergy//digestive issues going on (long story) I might just give it a try for the sake of seeing if that helps me at all.

Thanks again!!
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat A LOT of produce so for me choosing organic is very important because since fruits and veggies make up such a huge portion of my diet, I can't afford to be eating too many things with pesticides. I would say though for someone that doesn't eat as much produce daily as I do that it's not as big of an issue. There is a list called "The Dirty Dozen" and I try to buy everything organic that is on that list. I'll include a link for that list. I also buy bananas in organic because the price difference isn't that much and bananas are the bulk of my diet. Oh also I like to buy organic tomatoes as well but they can get mighty expensive so sometimes I don't but always try to look for ones that are dry and not oily at all. Also they should not smell of any chemical at all. The ripe on the vine ones, even the organic ones tend to have a funny smell at the stem but not on the tomato.

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214
  • daryl2738
    Options
    From reading the posts on this blog I thought this site would interest you...I came across this website where an Environmental Scientist and Professional Gardener has discovered a Eco-Organic Food gardening system.

If you are interested in growing your own organic vegetables and fruits check it out here: http://organicgardeningadvice.net
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    "Organic" in North America at least, is a marketing term. I have no dog in this fight as I grow most of my own vegetables but know that organic farmers use pesticides. It's a good idea to buy local for sure, as it cuts down on fuels needed to ship product and supports your local community, if that is an option.
    There is also nothing wrong with the food value of GMO crops, and some may be even better. They can feed more people per acre and help in less fortunate countries. GMO crops can also use LESS pesticides as they've been selected/engineered to do just that.

For thousands of years we've been husbanding crops to give us more food value as except for the last few decades people have needed more food than what they could obtain.
    To dismiss current discoveries out of hand for political reasons is short sighted IMO.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    I've been reading a bit about choosing organic over the alternative when it comes to produce. I was just wondering how many of you out there choose organic. Do you buy everything organic? Are there certain things that you choose to save money on (I've heard some people don't buy things like organic bananas, pineapples etc, due to the rind).

Recently my grocery budget is allowing me to spend a bit more, and I felt like this might be a good place to adjust (now that we can possible afford to make this choice)

Anyways, if you have any articles about the topic or any suggestions for someone looking to get into buying mostly organic I'd definitely appreciate them.

I buy the odd organic product just because I like the taste, not because it's organic. There is no substantial nutritional difference between organic and not, both products contain chemicals (in the same that everything is made out of chemicals) and, under most countries' regulations, both types may contain natural and synthetic agrochemicals (search for the The National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances if you are in the US).

I choose fresh products if I can afford them, some times from supermarkets, some times from farmers markets. Essentially I'm pragmatic when it comes down to organic. Concerning GMO, most countries's scientific societies (including the US National Academy of Sciences) agree on their safety. Even the Amish use GMOs. http://www.biofortified.org/2013/10/amish-gmos/
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It is primarily a marketing term. It doesn't mean what people commonly assume it means. Save your money.