Who likes to bow hunt / archery?

Options
IZackV13
IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
Just looking for some like-minded people who value fitness AND the finest of outdoor pursuits. Would love to know what kind of setup you shoot, game you're typically after, geography, etc.

I shoot a PSE Stinger, hunting via climber treestand in the lower Midwest for whitetail deer...

A lot of people think that hunting is for fat people who sit around all day; the type of hunting I do is VERY physically demanding. When you add in the hikes with full gear, using a climber treestand, and (hopefully) dragging a deer out of the woods, I bet the caloric burn is intense!

So, sound off! :-)

Replies

• IZackV13
    Options
    Heck, I'll take anglers too! Anyone? Bass fishing is another passion...

Anyone do ANYTHING here other than workout? lol
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Guns!
  • IZackV13
    Options
    Guns!

Ah yes, I have a .270 Winchester Savage Model 110 too. However, in my current state, high powered modern rifles are not allowed due to the flat terrain of most of the state.

Hence, I bought a bow...and man, I love that long hunting season! Plus, being 20-30 yds from a huge buck is an adrenalin rush and a half!

But, props to gun hunters, too. ;-)
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Archery here. Haven't shot in a while. Its primarily my winter sport when I can't get on my mountain bike.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Aw, you shoot a compound? Too bad.

Recurve shooter here-- Bear Black Panther, plus a Black Widow and a custom recurve made for me by a talented family member. I don't hunt-- not for any moral reasons, just because I don't have enough time to practice with broadheads. Now, living in Massachusetts, it's harder to find spots to target shoot, so I'm always on the lookout for a club or a place.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I hunt down and shoot squirrels.

If I had archery equipment I'd also use it to hunt and shoot squirrels.
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    I hunt down and shoot squirrels.

If I had archery equipment I'd also use it to hunt and shoot squirrels.
    Don't get her started on the squirrels, that's her arch enemy!!
  • IZackV13
    Options

Recurve shooter here-- Bear Black Panther, plus a Black Widow and a custom recurve made for me by a talented family member. I don't hunt-- not for any moral reasons, just because I don't have enough time to practice with broadheads. Now, living in Massachusetts, it's harder to find spots to target shoot, so I'm always on the lookout for a club or a place.

Hey now, no dogging on us compound bow guys! I think recurves are also awesome, but each have their advantages. Frankly, I'm probably not good enough to be lethal with a recurve unless the deer was just rediculously dumb. Haha.

@ShellyBell999 - shooting squirrels with a bow is definitely a challenge, I'm sure! I've taken a few rabbits with a shocker tip, and that's certainly sporting enough for me!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    PSE Bowmadness for deer and elk. Archery or firearms for everything else.

You should check out traintohunt.com
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I love to fly fish, but I haven't been in years (moved to saltwater area and don't have saltwater gear).

Shot lots of guns in the past, but never learned how to shoot bows. It would be a lot of fun!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I target shoot and have a Mongolian Horse Bow. Love that thing! We set up an archery range in the woods below our house. Great for blowing off steam.

My Manbeast has a compound bow- it's shiny and purple, but that's about all I can tell you about it offhand.
  • IZackV13
    Options
    PSE Bowmadness for deer and elk. Archery or firearms for everything else.

You should check out traintohunt.com

When I do decide to upgrade from my "starter" compound, a PSE Bowmadness or Hoyt are high on my list.

Will def check out that site, thanks!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Actually - I'd like to start archery (I've been shooting since I was young) but I'm unsure what kind of equipment to start with and its so hard to get service in the stores as a girl sometimes....
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fairly sure this isn't anywhere near what you're looking for, but I used to have a longbow, old wooden one with a deerskin handle. Was my neighbors, I never got real good with it, but I loved shooting that target!
    As for hunting, my hunting is a bit different than yours, I go out, and creep through the woods, with a camera, not a weapon, but essentially similar tactics. Don't scare the animals. XD
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do not hunt myself but my father is an avid hunter. He's a great shot, too, my mother has not had to buy a Thanksgiving Turkey in years as he almost always wins them in trapshooting competitions, amoung other prizes and countless trophies over the years. He usually always used a rifle (god that sound of the shotgun shell loader brings me back to my childhood...) but now that he's retired he started using a crossbow and occasionally a traditional bow and arrow. He loves it!
    I never hunted with him, just didn't appeal to me growing up. However I did go to the trapshooting range with him and shot at the clay and targets quite a lot. I always thought that was fun. I might go hunting with him now that I'm older but I live 8 hours away...
  • IZackV13
    Options
    Actually - I'd like to start archery (I've been shooting since I was young) but I'm unsure what kind of equipment to start with and its so hard to get service in the stores as a girl sometimes....

My tip? Go to Bass Pro (or Cabela's). Find a guy who either looks nice or is relatively close enough in age to think you might be cute. Tell him you want to learn, and that you need a full setup.

Most archery technicians I have known would JUMP at that chance.

Side note, but there is something about girls who shoot archery that is crazy hot. Just go for it...you can always upgrade and that's half of the fun!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I bow hunt with a shiny red martin tigress bow with ~60 lbs of pull on it. I got my first deer in October of 2011 and cant wait to go hunting again! I make a mean chili and am out of meat :(
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I actually meant the traintohunt youtube channel. The site is good as well but is mostly about signing up for training or the actual events.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainToHunt/videos
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I like Recurve over compound as well... though I'm not versed in brands or anything. I haven't shot in quite sometime... but I love it.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Hey now, no dogging on us compound bow guys! I think recurves are also awesome, but each have their advantages. Frankly, I'm probably not good enough to be lethal with a recurve unless the deer was just rediculously dumb. Haha.

@ShellyBell999 - shooting squirrels with a bow is definitely a challenge, I'm sure! I've taken a few rabbits with a shocker tip, and that's certainly sporting enough for me!

:D Just playin'. My brother's a compound guy.

I highly recommend instinctive shooting to find a nice, Zen place. One of the best stress relievers out there.