When to switch to maintenance

I am three pounds away from my “ultimate” goal weight and at the high end of what I’m going to consider as my goal range. I’m assuming that if I add back calories slowly, I’ll probably lose a few more pounds. Is it best to be at that “ultimate” goal before beginning to add back calories, or should I start now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    It's a personal preference. Some people get to a few pounds under their goal weight/range, because they know that you will gain a bit of weight from the water weight and the higher amount of food in your digestive system. My goal weight is 130-140. I'm going to go 2-3 lbs under 140 before I start increasing my macros a little at a time to get to maintenance level. That should reduce my shock of the scale going up slightly :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I had a hard target number as my SMART objective and jumped straight up to maintenance calories. That suited me at that point in my life.

Some start to add cals before getting to goal (a soft landing).
    Some aim for the top of their range and then slowly add more cals so they have a reducing deficit.
    Some aim for the middle or bottom of their range and jump up slowly or quickly.

In a few months it's unlikely to matter how you transitioned so just pick a method that feels right for you. If you are losing slowly or quickly or if you get anxious about what the scales tell you day to day then take those factors into account.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    I always get to that point then fall off my game. It's hard!

Yes! I’ve done that same thing more than once. It’s very hard!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    i want to drop 2 lb below my goal weight then go to maintenance so i won't be annoyed when the scale jumps a bit
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    My goal is to get to 23.2 BMi. My waist is still too large for what is recommended. Only three pounds to go as well, but waist measurement is what is going to get me to my goal