How to stop cravings

For the past year I have been trying to loose weight and my downfall is always snacks, mostly cake ๐Ÿ˜‹. What are some things yโ€™all eat to replace cake and cookies. Please donโ€™t say salad ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜‚

Replies

• TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Mmm cookies and ice cream are the best. I feel like once I eat them, I want more. I also find that if I wait a while to eat, like skipping breakfast, I get hungry less and crave less crap. That's me, though and I don't know if that's healthy or not but it's what I'm doing right now. I don't know if you like those little Halo oranges but I freaking love them. They taste like candy and they just came back into season recently. Also the Chobani Flips have about 200 calories but they have a lot of protein and they have chocolate chips and nuts and they're delicious if you like Greek yogurt. My fav is the choco coco loco. When I really want ice cream, though, I just have it. I have a little tiny ramekin bowl that I use so I don't go overboard.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    i eat cake and cookies (well not cake cuz that aint my thing but my equivalent craving).

I don't eat them daily. but I carve out some room in my calories weekly for smaller splurges. and if I am craving something large I may plan for it over a few weeks or months and go a bit over that day (or go to maintenance, or cut 50-100 calories over a few days - looking at a weekly goal VS daily).

Daily I eat chocolate and dessert which works wonderfully.

I do try some lower cal recipes for day to day or week to week stuff. but for a real true craving I want the read deal.

ETA: oh and i'll opt more for like going to buy a single cookie or slice of cake VS like buy a cake or bag of cookies!! or bring them to others right away and grab my portion.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Here's a list of calorie dense foods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

There's some good suggestions in there, just work them into your daily (or weekly) calorie goal, along with cake and ice cream as well if you like. If you're anything like me, the smaller portions don't look like they'll satisfy, but they do.

Have your cake and eat it too ;)
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    I can't not eat cookies if they are in the house, so I don't have them in the house. I try to eat sweet fruit instead when I have a craving for baked treats, like strawberries or grapes, apple, orange/tangerine, stuff like that.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    First you have to figure out what type of person you are. Are you a person who can eat those things in moderation? Say 1-2 times a week you have a moderate amount of cake and cookies in conjunction with your calorie goals? Or will that cause you to just crave it more.

If you are the type of person who can't have it in moderation, sometimes the best bet is to just go cold turkey. Don't keep any of those things in the house. And when you have a craving, just tough through it. Getting on track does require a certain amount of mind over matter. The longer you go without having the things that you crave, the less you will crave them, and eventually your body won't want them anymore.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    I used to fit in cakes and cookies, and managed to lose weight, but I understand that sugar can beget more sugar. My sweets with less added sugar include dates. I would eat nothing but dates if I didn't have to travel to find them at a reasonable price. Fruit salad with banana and fresh, ripe pineapple. Oatmeal with banana, nuts, and a weighed out portion of chocolate chips. Unsweetened greek yogurt with weighed out granola and a drizzle of fudge. A slice of toast with butter and jam (weigh it all). Still craving? Go listen to music or read a trashy book. Brain candy is as good as mouth candy, and often better.

Save the real stuff for real celebrations. Your own birthday, your favorite holiday, a special vacation. I used to be terrible at rewarding myself with sweets for bad days. It's easy to have a bad day, and if I eat cake every time I have a bad day, I'm going to have more bad days.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    The last time I made a cake the calories ended up being close to 800 for a 1/16 slice. Much smaller than I used to eat. I personally decided to forego the cake until the next major holiday. For 800 calories I can eat yogurt with delicious toppings, have 2 glasses of wine, and still have calories left for something else.

So cake isn't really worth it to me most of the time. When I'm craving I'll have an apple, sounds lame but does really satisfy my sweet tooth. Also a fruit flavored tea helps with my cravings or even one small piece of chocolate. And the yogurt is eaten every night usually with fruit, honey and walnuts. I really look forward to it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I eat candy, lol. It's much easier to buy tiny portions of candy so they're easier to fit in my day.