Gaining weight in a deficit. Please help.

I'm genuinely frustrated. I know it's only been three days. I know I shouldn't weigh myself daily. I acknowledge this. But, I am one of those people that just has to know.

I started to log my food three days ago. First day was around (approx) 1500 calories, 2nd 1250, yesterday 1350. I need 2,350 to maintain my body weight. In this time I've gained nearly a pound. Yes, I was honest with what I ate. I'd go to bed hungry and tell myself the hunger pain will be worth it to get my life back under control. Yet, I wake up gaining weight. I have been 100% honest with what I've ate. No unrecorded snacking. Plenty of water.

I'm not weight training, I did do one day of cardio in those three days and I've been sore since.

Please, why am I gaining weight eating in a deficit for three days running?

Replies

• Tetrelle
    Tetrelle Posts: 75 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    but in other aspects, are you using a food scale?

what are your stats? (height, gender, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to lose)?

Yes, I am using a food scale. I'm 100% sure my food is accurate as I have been very ocd about it. The other info I don't mind providing, but could we discuss it in a private message?

• Tetrelle

That was a pretty decent read. I'm naturally an obsessive and anxious person. I suppose what I really need, are people to help keep me motivated.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    Three days is not enough time. You have to be patient. There is nothing wrong with weighing daily. Many people do it and for me it is the most helpful way. But you have to realize that your weight will go up and down and that is ok. You can use a trending app like Libra (for Android) and Happy Scale (for iphone). This will show you if your trend is going down and even if your weight is up one day you will know that you are not gaining weight, it is just water fluctuations. But you will have to get a few weeks data in there before you will be able to see a trend. Three days is just not enough time. You also need to be aware that women tend to have lots of water fluctuations related to their menstrual cycles so that can affect your day to day weigh in as well. Some women retain water before or during menstruation and some also retain water during ovulation. A trending app will help you understand your own fluctuations and hopefully you won't be as bothered by them.
  • Tetrelle
    edited March 2019
    Posting and sharing on the boards can keep you engaged and level but motivation isn't something that comes from anywhere but you. You and only you are responsible, putting that onus on an external force or quality that's not yours to control is building in a reason to fail in my opinion. Mildly obsessive can work in terms of staying in charge of your diet but it has to work in a targeted way, not just in a less is more way.

I chose to start this journey on my own without outside interference. Is wanting some sort of a support system online since I don't have one irl really that bad? I'm not trying to put anyone in charge of my eating or fitness, I just want some motivation by seeing others progress and networking. I don't think that's such a bad thing.
  • Tetrelle
    "Seeing others and networking" reads different to me than "people to help keep me motivated" so if I got the wrong end of the stick there, my bad.

No worries :) Thank you for letting me clarify.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Tetrelle wrote: »
    Posting and sharing on the boards can keep you engaged and level but motivation isn't something that comes from anywhere but you. You and only you are responsible, putting that onus on an external force or quality that's not yours to control is building in a reason to fail in my opinion. Mildly obsessive can work in terms of staying in charge of your diet but it has to work in a targeted way, not just in a less is more way.

I chose to start this journey on my own without outside interference. Is wanting some sort of a support system online since I don't have one irl really that bad? I'm not trying to put anyone in charge of my eating or fitness, I just want some motivation by seeing others progress and networking. I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Have you checked out the Challenges section? Other community members post challenges you can join for accountability, support, and motivation. It's very helpful if you're someone who likes to be able to check-in with others and support each other through the ups and downs.

Some of the challenges are longer and can be pretty involved (the Harry Potter group runs really great challenges if you like that series), and others can be shorter and can just focus on things like logging food and exercise. There's nothing wrong with preferring a group or support system approach rather than trying to go it alone.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    My scale is ALWAYS up when my muscles are sore. When the muscles are sore they are holding water and it can make even a 2 lb difference. Even with cardio. I do all my weights sat, sun, mon and cardio the rest of the week. If i can take a rest day thursday (my weigh in is on friday) i don't do anything other than walking and drink lots of water. I would try as hard as you can to not weigh in every day. i get it, i am the type that has to know as well, but the scale goes up and down. It's fact. And if you continue to look every day it could frustrate you to the point that you just give up entirely. Your calorie counts sound pretty good, but you can always add in a fruit or protein drink at night so you are not going to bed hungry. It's hard in the beginning, stick with it as long as you can. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS
  • Tetrelle
    edited March 2019
    My scale is ALWAYS up when my muscles are sore. When the muscles are sore they are holding water and it can make even a 2 lb difference. Even with cardio. I do all my weights sat, sun, mon and cardio the rest of the week. If i can take a rest day thursday (my weigh in is on friday) i don't do anything other than walking and drink lots of water. I would try as hard as you can to not weigh in every day. i get it, i am the type that has to know as well, but the scale goes up and down. It's fact. And if you continue to look every day it could frustrate you to the point that you just give up entirely. Your calorie counts sound pretty good, but you can always add in a fruit or protein drink at night so you are not going to bed hungry. It's hard in the beginning, stick with it as long as you can. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS

This, I think, is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you, that made me smile and gave me some motivation! ♥ It also explains why I've been so sore.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Here's one other thought. I skimmed the above answers so forgive me if I am repeating. Often people start a diet like this and include lots of healthy veggies and high fibre foods they don't normally eat. That adds bulk to the digestive tract. In three days it may not have moved on if you catch my drift. The water thing is likely true as well from increased exercise. Trust the process. You will see the weight come down eventually. Hang in there.