What on earth?? Why all of a sudden so hungry?

Options
Alright, I am opening myself up for help and criticism.

For the last month or so, I have been practicing IF. 16:8. It helps me curb a lot of my mindless snacking. Eating window is from noon - 8PM. However, if I'm super hungry, I eat outside that window. It's not the end all/be all, so I just adjust my calories for the remainder of the day and move on. But, most days, I am 16:8.

For the last several days, I have been ravenous. Today, I actually packed and ate breakfast because I knew I wouldn't last until noon.

I've upped my water intake, I've upped the veggies and fruits and proteins. I weight most everything that I eat. And I'm still hungry. I also just adjusted my weight loss to half a pound a week. I am 5"7' and 158 pounds. 150 - 155 is my goal. I am also trying to do better about eating back most of what I burn (measured through a chest strap HRM). What else can I do? My diary is open.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Some people find fat and protein more satiating... maybe cut carbs a bit and up those?
    You could take a diet break and eat maintenance for 3-4 weeks
    Choose lower cal foods so you can eat larger volume of food

FYI, the cals burned from an HRM, even with a chest strap, is just an estimate, it just uses HR to estimate VO2Max, and is only close to accurate during steady state cardio type exercise.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Some people find fat and protein more satiating... maybe cut carbs a bit and up those?
    You could take a diet break and eat maintenance for 3-4 weeks
    Choose lower cal foods so you can eat larger volume of food

FYI, the cals burned from an HRM, even with a chest strap, is just an estimate, it just uses HR to estimate VO2Max, and is only close to accurate during steady state cardio type exercise.

I wear it mostly with cardio (running mainly), not so much when I'm lifting or fitness classes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Is it that time of the month? I always become a bottomless pit for 2 days right before. I end up planning to eat maintenance cals for those two days because resistance has proven futile. It might be more noticable to you now that you are doing IF.

Did your workouts change at all recently? Any unusual stress?
  • runnermom419
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is it that time of the month? I always become a bottomless pit for 2 days right before. I end up planning to eat maintenance cals for those two days because resistance has proven futile. It might be more noticable to you now that you are doing IF.

I ran a few more miles last week than usual. But I'm talking like, 5 more miles. Nothing crazy.
    The only other thing I can even remotely thing of is that I've been fighting a slight cold for a few days now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I ran a few more miles last week than usual. But I'm talking like, 5 more miles. Nothing crazy.
    The only other thing I can even remotely thing of is that I've been fighting a slight cold for a few days now.

I wonder if the cold is impacting the quality of your sleep and that could be contributing. I personally find that I'm much hungrier when I don't get enough sleep or my sleep has been restless.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    You have your Goals set at 1400. That sounds really low.

When I got to 160 (also 5'7", but older/retired) I was eating 1600 plus exercise calories - all of them - to lose. If you are working or caring for children or going to school, 1400 might just be too low now that you are so close to your goal weight.

• runnermom419
    Options

When I got to 160 (also 5'7", but older/retired) I was eating 1600 plus exercise calories - all of them - to lose. If you are working or caring for children or going to school, 1400 might just be too low now that you are so close to your goal weight.

1570 - GOAL. Not sure where you're seeing the 1400. I have a desk job.

I do try to eat back the majority of my exercise calories during the week. On the weekends, when I'm running 6+ miles, it's impossible for me to eat back that many calories (can get close to 1000 if I'm running 9-10 miles).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I do try to eat back the majority of my exercise calories during the week. On the weekends, when I'm running 6+ miles, it's impossible for me to eat back that many calories (can get close to 1000 if I'm running 9-10 miles).

Oh, you're right. I looked at the bottom and saw 1400.

1570 is just about exactly where I was set. Are you set at Sedentary?

If you're having trouble eating back 1000+ exercise calories, why not spread those out over the whole week so you'll get a couple hundred more calories per day.

Hunger was a big problem for me during the last 10 pounds. I could stick to a deficit for a few days, then I'd overeat my maintenance by 1000 calories a couple times per week. I think if that's happening then base calories are too low. They were for me. When there's little body fat, there's lots of hunger, and it's a real thing.

Now that I'm at maintenance for the last several years, I eat 400-500 more per day than any of the calculators say I should be eating and I am maintaining fine. So what I'm saying is that maybe it's time for you to spread out your calories a bit more (like a regular TDEE-based plan.) That is what I do now, mostly. If I had been set a little higher on a daily basis I wouldn't have had those big overages. It's definitely a balancing act at the end.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

It definitely sounds like your intake is too low. When I figured my calories, at about 245 pounds, I was at 1500 and that was the low end. I don't exercise at all and have a sedentary job. If you're using MFP's recommendation for calorie intake, I'd suggest you find the post about TDEE and recalculate based on your actual body.

Maybe you could also adjust your non-fasting hours to like 11am - 7pm. I'm not sure what time you're usually asleep, but if you're awake at like 6 am and not eating until noon, that could definitely cause hunger.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I struggle to eat back exercise calories on long run days, but I've found that carrying them over the next 1-2 days really helps me manage my hunger.
  • runnermom419
    Options

I struggle to eat back exercise calories on long run days, but I've found that carrying them over the next 1-2 days really helps me manage my hunger.

That may be worth a try. I may try that this weekend - about an hour on Saturday and 8-9 miles on Sunday.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That may be worth a try. I may try that this weekend - about an hour on Saturday and 8-9 miles on Sunday.

Definitely look at your weekly goal to balance your calories. I must admit I've never struggled with long run day calories, I love it, but then I get terrible runger!

If you're currently training for a race then you know your mileage for runs, so try adding 100 cals each day will balance out the extra burnt on the weekend.
  • runnermom419
    Options

Definitely look at your weekly goal to balance your calories. I must admit I've never struggled with long run day calories, I love it, but then I get terrible runger!

If you're currently training for a race then you know your mileage for runs, so try adding 100 cals each day will balance out the extra burnt on the weekend.

Oh, trust me, I can demolish a plate of food after a long run no problem. I'm trying to get away from the mentality of long run = eat everything in sight.

I am training for several half marathons, but adding the 100 over the week kind of scares me. The one time I'd do that would be the week where something happens and I don't get all the miles in. I think I may try running the miles, and adding the calories over the next 2 - 3 days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Oh, trust me, I can demolish a plate of food after a long run no problem. I'm trying to get away from the mentality of long run = eat everything in sight.

I am training for several half marathons, but adding the 100 over the week kind of scares me. The one time I'd do that would be the week where something happens and I don't get all the miles in. I think I may try running the miles, and adding the calories over the next 2 - 3 days.

Long run = refuel

That's how I look at it anyway...
  • runnermom419
    Options

Long run = refuel

That's how I look at it anyway...

Totally get what you're saying. But part of why I'm back on here is because I got into a bad mentality of "Oh, I just ran 10 miles, I can eat half a pizza, cupcakes, and beer and I'm all good, because I ran 10 miles". For me, I need to make better choices when it comes to refueling and I think the idea of spreading out those calories after they are earned is a great idea.