What weighing do you take?

I've just grilled some halloumi. I weighed it before it went under and it was 50g and when I weighed it once cooked (brown and crispy around the edges) it weighed 30g. Which weight would you record for calorie intake

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    raw
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Thank you 😊
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    @Jayj180894 I discovered halloumi on a trip to London last November. It was like being hit by a lightning bolt. Amazing stuff! We went back three times. Luckily there is a Persian grocery right up the street from me that sells it in small packages. Mine never turns out as succulent as the restaurant’s did. Any cooking tips?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Never heard of this food. Did a Google search. So it's cheese that can be grilled? Is it as caloric as say a cheddar?
  • joannapiana1977
    joannapiana1977 Posts: 8 Member
    Depends if you’re losing or gaining! Take the raw weight if you’re trying to lose and the cooked weight if you’re trying to gain!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Never heard of this food. Did a Google search. So it's cheese that can be grilled? Is it as caloric as say a cheddar?

Halloumi is delicious. It is salty and chewy and good a great meat substitute if you want a 'meaty' texture in a veggie meal. It is slightly lower calorie than cheddar. A quick look on the MFP database puts 50g of halloumi at 168 calories while the same amount of cheddar is around 200 calories. Not loads of a difference but I find halloumi to be more satisfying due to it's texture
  • Jayj180894
    @Jayj180894 I discovered halloumi on a trip to London last November. It was like being hit by a lightning bolt. Amazing stuff! We went back three times. Luckily there is a Persian grocery right up the street from me that sells it in small packages. Mine never turns out as succulent as the restaurant’s did. Any cooking tips?

Halloumi is amazing isn't it!! I had it last night with a golden vegatable rice and a chicken breast cooked in a peri peri sauce! I also dipped the halloumi in a peri sauce as well. Goes really well with the salty taste!
  • Jayj180894
    So if you take raw weighing does this also count for pasta and rice??
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    So if you take raw weighing does this also count for pasta and rice??

Usually yes. It depends if you use the calorie information from the packet. I always use uncooked as it is more accurate imo, you can never tell how much water the rice or pasta will have absorbed. However I've seen some packets that only list the calories for cooked portions, so if you're using that info you'd have to weigh cooked.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    The only things I don't weigh raw, only cooked are bacon, and meat that is cooked with the bone on, for example rotisserie chicken.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    The Halloumi I had in London was in planks about 3/4” thick, grilled, and put in a Mediterranean style salad. It was salty and had the texture of a moist chicken

It is supposedly the only cheese that will not melt when exposed to heat, so you can cook it in an outdoor grill or in a pan. I pan fry it in a dry pan til it gets a golden brown crust and chop it up to top a salad.

I like really salty things like olives or cured meats, so the salty, cheesy, meaty texture is very appealing to me.