Natural sugars exceed my sugar goals

I eat a lot of fruit and that always sends my sugar levels through the roof. Is that sugar goal only suppose to be meant for added sugars? Because I can't imagine that sugar from grapes is bad for me. Thanks!

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    The MFP number is based on the recommended daily allowance for added sugar, but there's no way to break out the sugar of fruits etc. from the added sugar (that said, all sugar is sugar for the body, though sugar in actual fruit is bound with fiber so it metabolizes a bit slower) so saying the MFP number is based simply on added sugar isn't exactly saying that saying that the amount of sugar in your fruit consumption is of no impact whatsoever.

Personally, I don't try overly hard to keep my fruit consumption low enough to keep it below the sugar number on MFP, but I also try to keep my servings of fruit fairly reasonable.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    The sugar limit is for added sugars. The amount of naturally occurring sugars in the average 2,000 calorie diet is 45g so add that to your sugar goal at that should be a good target to stay under each day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or have some other medical issue regarding sugar, don't worry about it. It's counted with your carbs. I wouldn't even bother tracking sugar, unless you medically need to do so.