Pilates, Yoga, or Barre?

Options
Mysunshinelife31
Mysunshinelife31 Posts: 41 Member
Heye everyone! I am a huge fan of all three, but I want your opinion of your favorite and why.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I like pilates and yoga for different reasons. I like yoga for more calm and static stretching. I like pilates for the active movement. I have never tried barre.
  • striving4moretoday
    striving4moretoday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    yin yoga
  • Mysunshinelife31
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've never tried barre. I haven't done Pilates in years. I enjoy yoga more for the flow aspect of it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like ballet, but not "barre" per se. I have a bar amped dvd and don't really care for that type of exercise. I like the calmness and stretching of yoga, and like more yoga flow than static. Not as familiar with Pilates. I'm more of a mover. I like to dance and do kickboxing, like turbofire.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’ve done yoga for about eight years, even at my heaviest. I have a love/not love relationship with it right now- and it’s my own fault. Since I’ve lost weight, I’m way more flexible and keep pushing beyond what I should. Am nursing a few sore spots right now. (Yoga Butt anyone? Really uncomfortable. ) I do mostly hot flow and warm yin.

I don’t know why I feel so driven to push so hard. My goal is to fly and get a handstand without a wall this year.

Started pilates before Christmas and I absolutely love it. I can tell a huge difference in strength since starting and when I started doing weight training last month, my trainer was agog at my arm muscles. I attribute those to pulsing the SuperFit ring every chance I get.

My only wish is they’d have more advanced Pilates classes or show mods to make things more difficult. I’m feeling not so challenged. Again, that nutso drive to push hard.

We do have one instructor who does a 45 minute “efficient” class who kicks *kitten* though. She had us using two rings at a time last week. I thought I’d die, but I made it through.

Now, I need to go soak butt and ankle in an epsom bath. Ta ta, ya’ll.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I love barre workouts as crosstraining for my running, and they're a nice break from my strength workouts. They get my stretching, which I need more of.

I've been dancing since I was 5, so they remind me of dance class. :)
  • Mysunshinelife31
    Options
    Wow thank you all so mich for this information! I am looking at varying up my routines and this helps
  • Mysunshinelife31
    Options
    Woah that is amazing! Thank you for the breakdown of your benefits to each one.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    barre hasn't interested me
    pilates seems more outward focused. and more single minded
    in my yoga classes, i use "pilates" moves. there are eight limbs of yoga and the poses are just one of them.
    td59cpr874qa.png
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Tried all 3, don’t like any. If I have to choose, probably yoga in a hot room for recovery, injury prevention and meditative benefits. Would much rather run, bike, play tennis, lift weights. Barre actually makes me feel like a “sexercise” and if you look it up it actually had its roots in improving women’s sex lives!