I’m finally walking again (with a walker) & need some advice.

Hi everyone. 👋🏻 To make my story short (that’s tricky!) 4 years ago a rare form of cancer made my bones its home. It broke 9 of my vertebrae + gave me a spinal cord injury. I’m pretty stubborn so when the doctors said “You’ll probably never walk again.” ... my internal response was “Watch me.” ... so ... I got past crying about the whole darn thing & NOW I walk with a walker.
I’m in some degree of pain most of the time but want to learn how to gently exercise. Does anyone know any exercises for a very damaged back & a dragging left leg?
Thanks a lot for your assistance!! 💗

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    oh my goodness congrats on getting through that all wow!!!!
    I would suggest pilates I know it helped my back immensely but really I think you need to start with baby steps. what about some little free weights to start with getting some strength back
  • Datura2
    Datura2 Posts: 6 Member
    YOU CAN DO THIS! Kudos for being a fighter. FIRST, discuss your plan with your doctor(s). I have been fighting back from a rare neuromuscular illness. Temporarily paralyzed, I then used a cane and walker. Physical therapy and aquatherapy, especially in a warm water pool, helped A LOT. Also helps: keep moving even when in pain, but don't injure yourself; go to therapy with a counselor for the pain, anxiety and depression that comes with a chronic painful condition; yoga; "Silver Sneakers" programs at the YMCA; plus being "stubborn" and never giving up. It's taken a long time, but I no longer need assistance to walk, and I am not in the wheelchair that was predicted for me. Sending you prayers for success on your journey.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi everyone. 👋🏻 To make my story short (that’s tricky!) 4 years ago a rare form of cancer made my bones its home. It broke 9 of my vertebrae + gave me a spinal cord injury. I’m pretty stubborn so when the doctors said “You’ll probably never walk again.” ... my internal response was “Watch me.” ... so ... I got past crying about the whole darn thing & NOW I walk with a walker.
    I’m in some degree of pain most of the time but want to learn how to gently exercise. Does anyone know any exercises for a very damaged back & a dragging left leg?
    Thanks a lot for your assistance!! 💗

Well done! Good for you!

I would highly recommend getting your doctor to refer you to a physical therapist to safely broaden your exercise limitations. Please do not take advice from anyone other than a professional in the field who is familiar with your medical history.

Edited to add: Btw, I just noticed your location. Howdy, neighbour! Newmarket, here. <3
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I would suggest talking to a physical therapist that your doctor recommends. Please don't take random advice from people. Most people here are not trained to work with people with this type of injuries.

Please before you do any type of exercise check with your doctor.
  • Datura2
    Datura2 Posts: 6 Member
    Oh. Also helped: chair and bed exercises; lifting free weights and doing circuits on the machines at the gym, both weights and cardio. Note that it took a long time to work up to some of the workouts. Wishing you the best. You are working a miracle in your life. You should be proud of yourself.