When you started maintenance, did you have a hard time deciding how to spend your extra calories?

2»

Replies

• rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    I just stayed in a slight deficit so I could eat out with family once a week and not go over.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I can't even remember. Yes, it's tough to switch from a weight loss mindset and not aim for a deficit daily or want a downward trend on the weight graph.

But my exercise burn has always been different every day. I just go by weekly net limit now instead of sticking to a daily limit. Should have done that all along.

Either way, I just have always eaten/ate according to the calories I was allowed, and ate the foods I felt would make me feel good on the day.

Can you explain how you figure out weekly net limit. I'm very new to maintenance and your sound very similar to me. My TDEE is a all over the place.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    I may have a little bigger portion at dinner, or I've kept it at my original set goal so I can have some saved up for the weekend. I usually don't track as strict on the weekends or I go out, so it's nice to have some extra saved up.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    I'm in my maintenance weight range but won't turn back on the extra calories until I hit Target Weight. Depending on the craving, I will make my meals larger...or add REAL butter sometimes...or eat smaller dinner and enjoy a dessert. I worked hard...time to play hard...but within specs. :)
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    I'm not in maintenance but I've done the math and my maintenance calories will be basically the same as they are now, and I'm set to lose 0.5/week. That's the sucky part about getting smaller and burning fewer calories just existing. I also go to thinking that I will also burn less exercising.... so I will actually have slightly fewer calories than I do now..... wow. Things I shouldn't think about!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I always use up my calories every day when I'm counting lol. If I have leftovers, I'm eating a snack for sure. I think my extra calories could be put to better use by being set aside for the weekend but I never actually do that.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2019
    I find it hard to get to maintenance calories consistently. I seem to be able to do it for a few days then drop back down for a bit, then overeat a bit, then get back to maintenance. It evens out but sometimes it's a headache. Slowly but surely getting better at it.
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    Agree with @sijomial . You'll weigh less, but that doesn't mean you need less. If you're losing weight now, you're operating at a deficit. Extra fat doesn't require maintenance, it just is energy you didn't use being stored until you do. Once you hit a goal weight, the only way you'll be able to maintain is by eating more.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I got lucky and kind of reached my goal weight at the same time approx. that I seemed to stop losing!
    I messed around with calories a bit after that as I fell in love with weight training and wanted to add some muscle size so I upped the calories a bit.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    I did mean that I will burn fewer exercises doing the same exercises that I am doing now because I will be lighter. I'm training for a marathon. Today I ran 24 km. If I were lighter I would have burned fewer calories doing the same run. Sure if I were lighter I'd probably be faster though! Also, my daily calorie allowance will decrease as I get closer to my goal. My maintenance calories will be the same as they are NOW (but more than the allowance I will need to get the last couple lbs off). So I understand my calorie allowance will go up, right back to where it is now. Not trying to be pessimistic, I kind of thought it was funny/ironic.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    I had no problem, I was excited, that I got an extra 300 calories. I just added some more of my favorite snacks or food in.