Motivation!

Options
Hi, I'm Abi. I'm from England and recently starting a journey of weight loss and a healthier lifestyle. Would love to get to know some people to help motivate each other and keep everyone going. Let me know where you're from and a motivational tip and hopefully other people can read and appreciate it too!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Hi Abi, welcome to MFP :smile:

I'm from Northern Ireland, lost the weight I needed to and have kept it off going on 6 years.

My tips would be:

Log every single thing you eat. Choose the verified items in the database for accuracy.
    Use a food scale - we just have no clue in general about portion size and weighing food is eye opening especially things that are calorie dense
    Don't cut out any food groups - losing weight is all about eating less than we burn, there is no magic food that makes it happen any quicker.
    Move a bit more - find an activity you enjoy doing, for me thats mostly walking or doing at home workouts/stationary bike.
    What you can enjoy and do consistently will be what gets you results long term - that goes both for eating and exercise.
    I'm a daily weigher, I use a trending weight app (Libra because I have an android phone, for iPhone its HappyScale) to give me the general trends even in maintenance - it helps cut out all the annoyance of the ups and downs that is normal because our bodys are not one consistent number and weight does fluctuate.
    Check out all the 'stickies' here in the forums as there's fantastic tips and advice on them.

All the best.
    Ruth
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! I live in Michigan!

My motivational tip would be this: you will almost never feel motivated. Do it anyway! ๐Ÿ˜
  • abigailwill95
    abigailwill95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! I live in Michigan!

My motivational tip would be this: you will almost never feel motivated. Do it anyway! ๐Ÿ˜

Hahaha, love that! :D
  • abigailwill95
    abigailwill95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Abi, welcome to MFP :smile:

I'm from Northern Ireland, lost the weight I needed to and have kept it off going on 6 years.

My tips would be:

Log every single thing you eat. Choose the verified items in the database for accuracy.
    Use a food scale - we just have no clue in general about portion size and weighing food is eye opening especially things that are calorie dense
    Don't cut out any food groups - losing weight is all about eating less than we burn, there is no magic food that makes it happen any quicker.
    Move a bit more - find an activity you enjoy doing, for me thats mostly walking or doing at home workouts/stationary bike.
    What you can enjoy and do consistently will be what gets you results long term - that goes both for eating and exercise.
    I'm a daily weigher, I use a trending weight app (Libra because I have an android phone, for iPhone its HappyScale) to give me the general trends even in maintenance - it helps cut out all the annoyance of the ups and downs that is normal because our bodys are not one consistent number and weight does fluctuate.
    Check out all the 'stickies' here in the forums as there's fantastic tips and advice on them.

All the best.
    Ruth

Hi Ruth, thanks so much for the info! I'm definitely going to start using a food scale, looking forward to being more aware!

Yes, I have found workouts I really enjoy and that helps me get up and go to the gym, crazy how much the mind matters when it comes to losing weight. Going to download HappyScale, hopefully this will help with my journey too.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I live in beautiful Colorado.

My tip is that motivation is fickle. Better to create new lifelong habits that will help you achieve your goals.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    Anyone who needs to be externally motivated is likely to fail. It needs to come from something inside you that says, "enough is enough!". If that's not you and you really, truly need an external motivation... go get a checkup and have your blood work done. Let the Dr. inform you what awaits you 20 or 30 or 40 years down the road if you don't stay at a healthy weight. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, circulatory issues, etc. These are all things that can be avoided.

I live in a van, down by the river.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi, I'm from England too and I've found that our long dark Winter definitely makes it really difficult to find the motivation sometimes! My biggest tip would be to find what makes you feel good in both food and exercise.

With healthy eating I find focusing on nourishment and learning about nutrients helps me make healthier choices. I mean beyond calories, think about the micronutrients, vitamins and minerals and their benefits for your skin, hair, healing ability, energy levels. At the other end of that spectrum, learning about the nutritional content of other foods can be pretty horrifying (go and have a look at how much sugar is in crunchy nut cornflakes!).

My exercise tip (which may or may not work for you) is gym clothes. My gym clothes vary from high waisted black leggings and a zip up black sports bra that make me feel like a badass super hero/ninja (or something out of 50 shades?) to garishly floral leggings and neon T-shirts. But dressing the part puts me in the mood to exercise. So I'd say get yourself some gear that makes you FEEL good (it doesn't have to be expensive, ASDA and Decathlon do some cheap stuff that's pretty nice).

I've also found the high you get from exercise, when you've finished and you're like a sweaty tomato and your legs won't support you is addictive and for me it goes deeper than looks- I feel strong and confident and invincible which is a massive motivator.
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    bobthecoolsmileyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm also British. I wish you the best of luck โค
  • FatToFitChaser
    FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am from the planet Earth :). Motivational tip : it's ok to fail but fail forward and irrespective of how many times you fail, NeVer ever ever give up until we breath. Stay Strong ๐Ÿ’ช
  • ag21sept
    ag21sept Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi am Paulette! You got this! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ