Help !! Losing Muscle along with Fat !!!

Options

Replies

• vikramtag
    vikramtag Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eat more fish, chicken, lean meat! 1.5 gram per pound of your weight.

yup..doing that already but not 1.5 gms...around 1 grm
  • vikramtag
    Options
    you're a dude. eat twice as much as you are currently eating.

you can't dictate where your body will take energy from, and muscle is sometimes the easiest place for it to tap. however, if you eat enough, you can limit how much of that it does. protein shakes help.

In the beginning i started off well..i dint care much about calories..all i knew I had to eat healthy carbs and cut the junk and non essential fat...for two months i lost 1lb per week ..it was all good till i started to think i needed to cut down some calories i dont know for what reason..all I know where i have gone wrong...all i want to know is there anything i can do about the muscle which i feel is lost.will check out protein shakes as well
  • vikramtag
    Options
    <
    Losing fat and keeping a good portion of my muscle while eating 1800-2000 calories a day. And I'm a chick, twice your age, and probably workout half as much as you do. EAT MORE FOOD! :bigsmile: 1200 is way too low for most women, let alone an active 21 year old dude.

Best results I've had with fat loss has been eating at about 15-20% off my TDEE - following the info and using the tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Eat well, drink water, lift weights, don't go gonzo on the cardio, get good rest, repeat.

According to various calculators it says
    my BMR is 1850
    TDEE is 2700
    so whats the ideal amount of calories i should be consuming ?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    <
    Losing fat and keeping a good portion of my muscle while eating 1800-2000 calories a day. And I'm a chick, twice your age, and probably workout half as much as you do. EAT MORE FOOD! :bigsmile: 1200 is way too low for most women, let alone an active 21 year old dude.

Best results I've had with fat loss has been eating at about 15-20% off my TDEE - following the info and using the tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Eat well, drink water, lift weights, don't go gonzo on the cardio, get good rest, repeat.

According to various calculators it says
    my BMR is 1850
    TDEE is 2700
    so whats the ideal amount of calories i should be consuming ?

Somewhere in between those 2 numbers. The closer you are to BMR the faster you'll lose weight and the harder you'll have to work to keep that weight primarily fat loss. The closer to TDEE you are the slower your weight loss will be and the easier it will be to keep it mostly from fat.

IME, most people have a sweet spot where they feel pretty good, are seeing good progress, and adherence is **reasonably** easy. Try a few different calorie intakes and see where you are happiest.

• vikramtag
    Options
    Somewhere in between those 2 numbers. The closer you are to BMR the faster you'll lose weight and the harder you'll have to work to keep that weight primarily fat loss. The closer to TDEE you are the slower your weight loss will be and the easier it will be to keep it mostly from fat.

IME, most people have a sweet spot where they feel pretty good, are seeing good progress, and adherence is **reasonably** easy. Try a few different calorie intakes and see where you are happiest.

[/quote]

Thanks a lot ! I'm glad I could rectify my mistake soon enough ..so my mistake which could have led to muscle loss or increase in cortisol levels etc ,how bad is it ? and how can i quickly recover from it ? and the damage which has already been done be reversed ?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    How long were you eating so little?

Damage takes time to occur. How much time is hard to say for sure, but generally months. If you're only talking about a few weeks you are probably fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Buy a BCAA supplement. A google search will tell you why this will keep your muscles strong if you are on a calorie deficit diet.
    Actually it's more important if one is training fasted then if one is just in a calorie deficit. Not to mention if it's taken along with other proteins, it's impact isn't as noticeable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vikramtag
    Options

Damage takes time to occur. How much time is hard to say for sure, but generally months. If you're only talking about a few weeks you are probably fine.

8-10 days not more..on the 9th day i felt dizzy and stuff..thats when i guessed something was really wrong..the past 2 months i have been losing fat like crazy ..the more i read abt stuff on the net..the more crazy stuff i tend to do ..ill stick the calories between my BMR and TDEE now :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

8-10 days not more..on the 9th day i felt dizzy and stuff..thats when i guessed something was really wrong..the past 2 months i have been losing fat like crazy ..the more i read abt stuff on the net..the more crazy stuff i tend to do ..ill stick the calories between my BMR and TDEE now :)

I wouldn't worry about it considering it's such a short timeframe. Very little happens in this arena in days, but rather months and years.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • vikramtag
    Options
    Buy a BCAA supplement. A google search will tell you why this will keep your muscles strong if you are on a calorie deficit diet.
    Actually it's more important if one is training fasted then if one is just in a calorie deficit. Not to mention if it's taken along with other proteins, it's impact isn't as noticeable.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I never ever wanted to use supplements but if it is ESSENTIAL then I will give it a thought.
  • vikramtag
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.

aye aye kitty kat !!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I never ever wanted to use supplements but if it is ESSENTIAL then I will give it a thought.

it's not.

A good read on supplements:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest TDEE - 15%, since you don't have a lot to lose. So if your TDEE is 2700, that would give you about 2300 cals. Stick with that for 3-4 weeks then re-valuate.
  • vikramtag
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

it's not.

A good read on supplements:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html

Checking !! thank you !!
  • vikramtag
    Options
    I would suggest TDEE - 15%, since you don't have a lot to lose. So if your TDEE is 2700, that would give you about 2300 cals. Stick with that for 3-4 weeks then re-valuate.

thank you !! i was thinking TDEE- 15% to be healthy fat loss too..will surely implement it starting tomorrow..having a hard time eating :p
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Reduce the deficit, get your *kitten* under a barbell and stay away from treadmills.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you're a dude. eat twice as much as you are currently eating.

you can't dictate where your body will take energy from, and muscle is sometimes the easiest place for it to tap. however, if you eat enough, you can limit how much of that it does. protein shakes help.

I know I should be eating more. I never imagined a day will come when i thought i should eat more but yeah :P
    The frequency of meals is a problem for me. Because of college and other busy schedule I'm not able get in 5 meals a day
    and each meal i have is with portion control ..so that is how i end up not eating

just wanted to throw in you don't need 5 meals. eat two or three large ones. i eat two awesome large meals, usually 1000 - 1200 cals per. i am full and happy. works for me. 16/8 IF
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to take supplements to gain muscle, what you want to do is look at what you're eating. I can't see your diary so I don't know how much protein you're eating but to increase muscle mass you want to eat more lean protein. For as much as you're working out and your height/weight, 1200 calories is not enough, unless you are eating back your exercise calories and even then it's a pretty low number. Contrary to what others posted on here, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, you won't gain/lose it at the same rate but it is possible because as you're building muscle, that in turn will burn more fat.

Your body needs fuel to rebuild so you'll need to make sure you're eating enough. Also, like others say, rest days are important. If you overtrain and don't have enough rest days, your body will hold on to more water and fat. A couple ways you can tell that you're over training is if you're tired easily, feeling really bloated, cannot sleep, etc. That's when you want to cut back a little until your body can readjust.

Here's my suggestion, increase your calorie intake to 1800 - 2000, eat back about 1/2 of your exercise calories burned. As far as what you're eating, make sure you eat a lot of lean protein and fruits and veggies. I drink protein shakes and eat protein bars for added protein, you do have to be careful of what kind of protein bars because a lot of them are full of sugar. The best ones on the market right now are the Quest bars, they can be kind of spendy but net carbs is very low and it's not full of sugar. Drink a lot of water so that your body can process and eliminate the toxins from foods that you eat and cleanse it. It's suggested that you drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day so if you weigh 185 you should aim for at least 92.5 ounces or 10-12 cups of water a day.. I'm not a big fan of supplements and stuff and I don't believe you need to take them in order to build muscle. Remember that the changes will take a few weeks to be noticeable so be patient.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes things can get crazy with your schedule and it's hard to get a good meal. I always try to plan ahead and pack healthy snacks. If you don't mind, I suggest. packing some unsalted mixed nuts and protein bars in your backpack for a quick snack between classes. That way you're not tempted to overeat when you do sit down for a meal. Also, having a protein shake before or after your workout will help as well. It's not too filling but it will give you the protein and vitamins to workout or recover from a workout. You don't need to eat 5 square meals a day, just as long as you're fueling your body with good foods and decent portions through the day, you'll be okay.

When I was working out hard, I used to go right after work and didn't have time for dinner so I pack 1/4 cup of unsalted mixed nuts to eat in the car and I have a soy protein shake before working out to give me energy for my workouts. After I get home, I have another protein shake (muscle tech) to help with recovery before eating a light meal. If you drink protein shakes, try to find one that has 14-25 grams of protein and 140-160 calories a serving.