1000th time starting over

Options
aecmagn
aecmagn Posts: 30 Member
why is this so hard? once I'm in the groove all is well, but miss a day, make a mistake and I just give up. how do you guys do it, pick yourself back up after a "bad" day?

Replies

• cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Dont let a bad day become a bad week. Ir a bad week turn into a bad month......have setbacks but dont dwell in them. Allow mistakes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to change your definition of good and bad days, success and failure.

Dieting isn't a contest or exam, and it isn't defined day by day. My body doesn't know what time it is, or wait until midnight each day and then react specifically to what I did in the last 24 hours.

If by bad day, you mean you ate "bad" foods, my suggestion would be to stop thinking of foods as good or bad. If you are eating a well balanced calorie-appropriate diet and you eat some cookies, it's not like that negates all the nutrition and fuel you already ate. I fit in "treat" type foods almost every day, while I was losing and now that I'm maintaining.

If by bad day, you mean you went over your calories, you need to look at the big picture. First, if you are aiming for a 500 cal deficit, and you went 300 cals over your goal, you are still in a 200 cal deficit. If you ate right through your deficit, but you were still in a deficit all the other days in the week, you are still probably in a deficit for the week. And even if you ate so much that you aren't in a deficit for the week, all that means is it will delay you reaching your goal weight by one week. Is that really worth quitting over? Quitting delays you reaching your goal weight by forever. Learn from the situation and do better next time.

People who succeed in losing weight aren't perfect. They just look at the big picture and keep going. Look at this as a process you are working through to learn how to eat and be active at the right calorie level for the rest of your life. There will not be a final exam where you hit goal weight, get a plaque, and then go back to not minding your lifestyle. There's no start and finish. :drinker:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Why do you let yourself quit after a "bad day"? And what's a bad day, anyway? You ate more than usual? So what. It happens to all of us. The ones who are successful don't let it derail them.

**a little bit of tough love :D **