Advice please!!

Options
Over the years I’ve tried so many things to lose weight, & nothing seem to work. Granted usually after a few months something happens wether it be life happens or something health wise, but during the time I am sticking with it, I seem to never make any progress. I’ve tried low fat, low carb, kept calories at 1200, work out videos and gym memberships, medication...the only time I actually lost was taking adipex but my diet was so all over the place I didn’t keep it off..recently I’ve been trying keto, been 3 months now, plus going to the gym 3 days a week, & the most I’ve lost is 10 lbs in the first month, but then I just keep gaining and losing those same 10 lbs! I’ve had my thyroid checked, full blood panel and everything always comes back normal. I felt like keto was my last shot at finding something that works, but that doesn’t seem to be working either. I’ve tried staying within the app suggested 1700 calories/day..nothing. Tried 1500/ day..tried 1200/day...keeping my carbs below 20..still nothing. All I end up with is being extremely frustrated and feel like I’m depriving myself of almost everything..I end up having to cook twice just to make something that I can eat because the rest of my family can’t always eat the things I need to eat..& all the extra food prep and special recipes I have to do to make sure I’m following ‘keto’ properly take so much time sometimes and having a 1 year old and a busy schedule as it is...I’m struggling. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, thinking I should just ditch keto and go back to the basics of simple portion control without cutting anything specifically.. I don’t know what else to do 😩 Sorry I know there was a lot of venting in this, I just feel like I’m at that point where I feel like screw it, I guess I’m just destined to be fat!

Replies

• AreneeS22
    AreneeS22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, I’ve been using a scale..I have literally been weighing and measuring everything I eat for the last 3 months, & all I drink is water besides my coffee in the morning, and I don’t even use sugar in that anymore
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    Yes, I’ve been using a scale..I have literally been weighing and measuring everything I eat for the last 3 months, & all I drink is water besides my coffee in the morning, and I don’t even use sugar in that anymore

Okay, you mentioned that you weigh and measure. What type of foods are you measuring? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to discern all the variables right now. Please bear with us. :smile:
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    personally I found that working with a coach (not any coach - a decent one who teaches you as well as guides you, and those cost money) really helped me to get started. I now do it myself, but having that support at first was really really beneficial to me.

At first I just did what she told me to - the diet was NOT restrictive (you'd need to ask about that) - I had a meal plan but it had options for each meal and also we discussed what foods I liked/didn't like and she incorporated that in there.

After a while she started to teach me about macros and I was able to sort of wean off the plans and into a more flexible approach of eat what I want but by that stage I had the knowledge and tools to help me.

Also, she taught me how to lift properly so that I also worked the fitness/body aspect too.

There are many coaches out there, the majority are not good though and will get you on restrictive chicken and broccoli meal plans. Steer clear of those. I'd recommend more of a flexible dieting approach. Meal plans helped me in the beginning because I didn't have to think much and I knew what I needed to make to eat and could do so a few days in advance.

To this day (4 years later) I still kind of eat roughly the same things (a variety of options for each meal though) for my first 3 meals and I leave my dinner as more of a free for all.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend it. PM me if you want more info on how to look for a coach.

disclaimer - I am not a coach and am not recommending any in particular, just can provide you with general information. And it's none of the beachbody or isagenix or other MLM crap either. Just my experience.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Almost any weight loss plan will work, if you stick to it. Eat keto if you really like those foods. If you don't, then go back to calorie counting. Are you having cheat days? A big meal out can completely undo 6 days of eating on plan. Do you find yourself getting looser in weighing and measuring every bite after a while? Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? Maybe try eating back only half?
  • AreneeS22
    Options
    I’ve been sticking with the basics food wise...eggs, meat, vegetables..I cut out starches and fruits, no sugar..anything I would need sweetened I use swerve sweetener...I don’t know, is there such thing as being TOO restrictive on carbs? 🤷‍♀️
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    I’ve been sticking with the basics food wise...eggs, meat, vegetables..I cut out starches and fruits, no sugar..anything I would need sweetened I use swerve sweetener...I don’t know, is there such thing as being TOO restrictive on carbs? 🤷‍♀️

No. You are over complicating it. It’s not your fault, there’s so much seudo science out there. Tbh no matter what you eat you will lose weight if in a deficit. Being satiated and healthy is an entirely different story however. Eat things that you enjoy but allow you to make this a lifestyle and reachh your goals. And just to get ahead of it, excercise isn’t mandatory for weight loss either, just a benefit to your overall health.
  • AreneeS22
    Options
    I actually don’t eat back any of my exercise calories, I don’t log them..I guess maybe I should..& honestly no I have not enjoyed the keto way of eating..I only chose it to give it a shot and see if it was something I had better luck with..I never allowed myself potatoes, and I used to love wraps and sandwiches (whole grain or spinach wrap), & I really miss pasta...but eating pasta made of zucchini noodles, or trying to make a bread like substance out of almond flour and egg that tastes like an overly spongy nasty egg is not satisfying at ALL...don’t get me wrong, I LOVE zucchini, I love most vegetables..but they are no replacement for pasta. Some things I’ve learned to make like little cheesecake bites that are sugar free are good and I don’t mind eating those and they aren’t high is calories either, but most everything else I have to eat, I feel like Im cutting out so much of what I DO like that I just don’t enjoy eating at all anymore..I guess maybe I’ve been looking at this all wrong, one of the many ‘brainwashed’ so to speak on carbs being the enemy of your body...it all made sense In the beginning 😕
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,429 Member
    Options
    Do you mind sharing your diary? Maybe there's something off that we'll be able to spot and help you on your way to losing weight.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    10 lbs. in a month is aggressive. It is likely water weight you lost because of the caloric restriction. The fact that you are not tracking your exercise could well be the key.

The amount of exercise you do could be cutting your caloric intake even further. If you exercise regularly but also stick to 1200 calories a day then you may in fact be getting too few calories and so your body is holding on to every bit of energy it can (fat) because it's not getting enough calories.

Forget keto for now. Look at just focusing on the amount of calories you eat versus what you eat. You can still enjoy pasta etc. if you want as long as you track it and account for it. Eat fruit as well as it is good for you. And for your overall health cut out artificial sweeteners because they can be worse than the real thing.

To get your caloric needs try this link. The article is also a very good read from a reliable source. The calculator they use is probably the most accurate you will find online.

Your weight loss has likely stalled because your body simply isn't getting enough calories. Start tracking your exercise as well and be sure it is as accurate as possible...use the internet to get an idea of how much you are burning or get a fitbit or pedometer or something. I say use the internet because one site may not be as accurate as another so you would generally use an average. You still don't have to eat back those calories if you don't want to but it gives you a better idea as to why your body may need more fuel to lose weight.

Look at body builders. They require enormous amounts of calories to maintain their physique...too few calories and they suffer muscle loss, muscle strain and are prone to more injuries and they get tired faster
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    How many days in a row do you stick to 1500 or 1200 before you fall off the wagon? Do you make it as far as 8-12 weeks?
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Firstly, this is long term process and changes won’t happen over night so you have to be patient.

1. Use the target given by FitnessPal based on .5 or 1 per week.
    2. Eat foods you love within your target.
    3. Use your food scale at all times.
    4. Block out news of the latest diet fad; they lead to confusion.
    5. Make one meal for the family. Weight your portion or have more vegetables; if you like rice or pasta, you can consume them within your target or use a substitute such as cauliflower rice (if you like the taste).
    6. Plan for occasions; read restaurant menus online before going. Have a small slice of birthday cake. It’s all about balance.

Lastly, make this a habit that’s just a part of your lifestyle without it being your primary focus.